The last of a dying breed

Many Fresno State fans believe the Bulldogs̢۪ greatest rival resides in Boise, Idaho, but try looking in our own state.

Boise State may be the team that Fresno State fans love to hate, but statistically, the Bulldogs̢۪ top foe is just north of the Valley in the Bay Area.

The Bulldogs will lock horns with the San Jose State Spartans this Saturday for the 74th time in program history – by far the most times Fresno State has played any opponent.

And although Fresno State has won 14 out of the last 15 meetings dating back to 1991, the all-time series is still relatively close with the Bulldogs leading the Spartans 37-33-3.

When it comes to football in California, Fresno State has definitely established itself as a top program.

Of course there is USC, Cal, Stanford and UCLA, but Fresno does not receive even near the same amount of financial support that these BCS institutions do.

Although they are a mid-major, the Bulldogs̢۪ program is just below Pac-10 status, but what the heck happened to the rest of our state?

Besides the four Pac-10 schools and Fresno State, California college football has taken a serious dive.

There are currently 33 public universities in the Golden State and only nine of them sport football programs.

Moreover, Fresno State, San Jose State and San Diego State are the only California State Universities that house Division I football programs.

Cal Poly, UC Davis­ and Sacramento State have I-AA football teams and Humboldt State in Arcata fields a Division II squad.

On average, Fresno State only gets to play an intrastate foe once a year.

There used to be a time when Fresno State was playing schools like Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, UC Santa Barbara and Pacific on a yearly basis.

Think how much that would save on travel fees. Not exactly Louisiana Tech and Hawaii.

All of those teams are still in the same conference with the Big West, but their football programs have been cut.

Even Division II CSUs have had to eliminate football teams, including San Francisco State, Sonoma State, Chico State and Stanislaus State.

The biggest obstacle for these athletic programs is meeting Title IX requirements.

Fielding a football team requires a ton of money and, according to Title IX, whatever money you spend on male sports you have to equal that for female athletics.

So the fact that Fresno is still able to hold on to its football team (at the expense of men̢۪s soccer and wrestling) is a blessing for Bulldog fans.

I know that Fresno State̢۪s athletic program was one of the major selling points for me when I visited the campus.

There aren’t too many chances to get the “real college experienceâ€Â anymore and if there are you have to sell your soul to the devil to afford it.

Most schools in the CSU system have received the label of “commuter schoolsâ€Â where the majority of students could care less about campus life or athletics.

An athlete that I know at Sacramento State said to me that there is absolutely no support from students and the majority of fans at their games are fellow athletes.

I̢۪m not a Fresno native so I have a different perspective than many students on campus, but I think our school is lucky.

We have first-class athletic facilities on campus (not like San Diego State students that have to drive to Qualcomm Stadium), the community cares about the university and, thanks to Pat Hill, our schedule reflects that of a Division I university.

Sure, some think the football team has underachieved lately, but at least we have a team to complain about.

The only thing most schools in our state have to look forward to in the fall is the homecoming soccer game – no offense, but I’d rather watch paint dry.

Division I sports, great education and most of us won’t be paying student loans until we’re 30 – Fresno State is the best deal around!

Saturday̢۪s CSU vs. CSU clash is a rarity. Thankfully, we̢۪re one of the only ones left to enjoy it.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• T

Tom BradyOct 18, 2009 at 11:35 pm

TJ Richmond: What are you referring to? Who did Pat Hill call a clown and what did he say?

• T

Tom BradyOct 19, 2009 at 6:35 am

• T

T J RichmondOct 18, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I want to know why they retracted statements made by respected coach Pat Hill on this story, where he called another commentor a “clown.” Seems a little suspicious to me. And I thought newspapers were supposed to be objective. C’mon, let us see what Mr. Hill really thinks.

• T

T J RichmondOct 18, 2009 at 4:24 pm

wannabebulldogfromChicoStateOct 18, 2009 at 8:56 am

If you want to seriously talk sports on a blog, how about sticking to the issue at hand, which is the loss of college football in California. Mr. Graben expresses this very well and VERY accurately, without name calling.
    Since I am an alumni of the football student/athlete experience, I feel sorry for all those who don’t have that opportunity.
    I am glad that Mr. Graben has the fortitude to express his opinion as stated above.

wannabebulldogfromChicoStateOct 18, 2009 at 3:56 pm

• T

T J RichmondOct 17, 2009 at 10:05 pm

It’s so sad that football articles receive more attention than do human rights violation articles, or stories dealing with the state of our education system, or anything trying to cover something that actually matters to all of us as a whole. Don’t get me wrong, I think football is a great sport, and provides a number of economic/educational/entertaiment services. But what does this say about us? That we care more about football than we do California’s greatest source of income, agriculture. Sad, sad sad.

• T

T J RichmondOct 18, 2009 at 5:05 am

StungAlumOct 17, 2009 at 8:40 pm

“Moreover, Fresno State, San Jose State and San Diego State are the only California State Universities that house Division I football programs.” This is an untrue statement that shows a lack of college football knowledge. For the most part, CSU’s that have football have DI programs! Fresno State participates in the FBS, a division with a broken bowl system. Sac State participates in the FCS where there is a playoff system that crowns an actual national champion.

“Cal Poly, UC Davis and Sacramento State have I-AA football teams and Humboldt State in Arcata fields a Division II squad.” This statement is also untrue, do your homework if you want to be taken seriously.

Maybe you shouldnt write about college football anymore, you obviously dont know what youre talking about.

StungAlumOct 18, 2009 at 3:40 am

Jim ShomeOct 16, 2009 at 3:43 pm

It is good that Fresno State has a football program. What is not good is the man driving the football program into the ground by failing every single year. Pat Hill. Fresno State deserves better. The school has great fans who shouldn’t have to be let down every year and feel like they should throw a baseball bat through their tvs when watching away games.

Jim ShomeOct 16, 2009 at 10:43 pm

sportsfanOct 16, 2009 at 8:41 am

Fresno state is the pride of the valley, that means from about Merced to Bakersfield. Fresno state recruits local talent so they get lots of local support. The problem is they lose lots of 4 and 5 star recruits to bigger programs (PAC 10). Plus their the only division 1 football in the valley which helps.

sportsfanOct 16, 2009 at 3:41 pm

wannabebulldogfromChicoStateOct 16, 2009 at 8:28 am

Mr. Graben
    Football used to be a tremendous part of the “college/university” experience for many especially in the CSU state college system. I for one had the benefit of this student/athlete experience and would not trade it for the world. To eliminate a program just because another group of people does NOT have the same number of participants is criminal. I have nothing against women sports–their experience should be the SAME as men. Where I draw the line in the sand is eliminating those traditions that make a college experience complete—for everyone.
    Solid schools have great academics,athletics,clubs, activities and social groups for MAXIMUM participation and STUDENT/SCHOOL identity.

With all due respect when someone utters the phrase “USC” or “UCLA” or even “Florida State” I do NOT think they are referring to their obvious stellar academic programs. In my mind FOOTBALL is number one on campus and those that do not understand that position are on another planet.

wannabebulldogfromChicoStateOct 16, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Mr. Graben

sacratOct 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Maybe you shouldn’t rely on anecdotes but look at the attendance. Two home games and averaging 10,000 fans. But then, I didn’t know Sac State had that many athletes.

sacratOct 16, 2009 at 5:58 am

• I

I Just Love FootballOct 15, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Wow, Jimmy, a passionate expression of your love for the game and for your school. Nicely done. Of course, I have to correct you…it’s couldn’t care less, not could care less. If you could care less, you would care less, but if you couldn’t care less, you don’t care.

• I

I Just Love FootballOct 16, 2009 at 4:52 am