Students voice concern with planned walkout

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian

Two student organizations have collaborated on planning a student walkout at California State University, Fresno, to protest rising fees and prevent further increases in the CSU system.

Students for Quality Education (SQE) and the California State University Student Walkout Coalition (CSUSWC) have planned to stage a “teachoutâ€Â at 10 a.m. and a walkout at noon on Oct. 21.

SQE will be more involved during the walkout portion of the rally. Whitney Thompson, a facilitator for SQE, advocated that students get involved to show that they care about their education.

“No one’s going to listen to us if we don’t do something,â€Â Thompson said.

Thompson said that college students are always the first group to be hurt by state cuts, because they don̢۪t vote. Older people make themselves heard, so the cuts affect them less. Thompson said she wants students to get involved in the walkout as a sign of solidarity.

This year, Fresno State increased fees by 32 percent and cut hundreds of class sections from the 2009 schedule.

SQE will be pushing petitions for bills AB 656 and SB 218.

The first bill, AB 656, would put a tax on oil and natural gas extracted from the state, and use it to fund higher education. California, the third-largest producer of oil in the nation, is the only state without such an extraction tax.

The second bill, SB 218, would update the California Public Records Act to create greater transparency in auxiliary organizations on public campuses.

The “teachout,â€Â which will be staged in the Peace Garden, will be a workshop to inform students about fee increases in recent years and shortcomings from administration and Associated Students, Inc., according to CSUSWC organizers Mauro Carrera, a senior, and senior Josh Cranston.

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian

Carrera and Cranston said that they did not feel that ASI and the administration have taken the CSUSWC seriously. The CSUSWC presented ASI with a list resolutions, including a proposed refund of the 32 percent fee increase and that any administrative perks be rescinded. The resolutions were rejected during last week̢۪s ASI meeting.

“Regardless of how far out there the demands are, just the fact that students are trying to speak out and that there are students looking for a solution should be enough of a reason for them to actually talk to us, for them to actually listen to us,â€Â Carrera said.

Provost and vice president for academic affairs, William A. Covino Ph.D., released a statement.

“We share our students’ frustration and dismay about the ways that budget reductions are affecting the class schedule, and the ways that employee furloughs are affecting student services and instruction,â€Â Covino said. “With our students, we deeply regret the state’s decision to sharply reduce funding for public higher education, and strongly support the 2010-11 budget proposed by the CSU, which asks for sufficient state funding to avoid further fee increases and eliminate furloughs.â€Â

The student organizers do not anticipate any problems from the University Police Department (UPD).

Amy Armstrong, public information officer for the UPD, was unavailable for comment.

$100
$500

$100
$500

dwOct 14, 2009 at 8:44 am

I’ll be supporting the walkout! I urge everyone to do the same.

dwOct 14, 2009 at 3:44 pm

to the "documented"Oct 14, 2009 at 12:11 am

YOU ARE THE ILLEGAL ALIEN….PILGRIM! who are you to talk about immigration status when it was you, the white man that has come to destroy and relocate our people. you, pilgrim are the illegal alien and are the “undocumented,” so get off my land and off my school! as far as you paying the bill, answer this: who works the fields for you and your family to have dinner at the table? did you forget that these workers pay taxes too? are undocumented workers not beings like you that have the same needs and desires? what about the student that immigrated at the age of 2 and is far more intelligent and far more qualified than your average white clovis kid and actually wants to pursue his/her education, do they not deserve that right? or is it that you’re afraid of a little competition from that someone who’s native tongue isn’t the same as yours?
    Regarding the walkout…its about time students come together to protest against the privatizing and elitisizing of our university. EDUCATION IS NOT A PRIVELEDGE, EDUCATION IS A RIGHT! and no one should be denied of an education because of lack of funds.

to the "documented"Oct 14, 2009 at 7:11 am

Jared HarperOct 14, 2009 at 12:07 am

BEN CHOADE . Its humorous to see how ignorant you are. CAMP (College Assistance Migrant Program) is a federal program which means to acces federal funding, all students receiving services must be of “legal” status if i may use that term for your sake.

The CAMP Program on campus serves students who are of migrant status, looking for work, not immigrant status, you silly kid. They have every right to access the university as much as you do. Although based on your racist remarks its too bad you are allowed in.

Jared HarperOct 14, 2009 at 7:07 am

Ben ChoadeOct 13, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Looking for a way to eliminate programs and save classes? Drop the CAMP program. It’s utter nonsense that taxpayers have to foot the bill for special programs intended for the children of undocumented workers—–you have every ability to enroll in junior colleges—–no student with legal immigration status should be supplanted by an undocumented student of equal or lesser academic capabilities.

To the others students—–get back to class——enough with the attempts at trying to send a message.

Ben ChoadeOct 14, 2009 at 4:58 am

Adriana SanchezOct 13, 2009 at 4:41 pm

As a student who struggles to pay all her school expenses every semester, I am outraged by the increased tuition fees and furlough days. I support the walk out, and I think we should recognized our fellow student activists planning it. It is time to speak out, let’s walk out October 21st!

Adriana SanchezOct 13, 2009 at 11:41 pm