Salsa dancing Halloween party

The California State University, Fresno salsa club will host their annual Halloween party at 9 p.m. in the Alice Peters building on Friday Oct. 30.

According to the Salsa Club president Enrique Martinez, there are multiple reasons the club decided to host the party again.

“It gives us a chance to interact with our members,â€Â Martinez said. “It also gives us a chance to meet new people and possibly bring more publicity and attention to the club. There is also a chance we can gain new members by having the party.â€Â

The event will include dancing, a Halloween costume contest and a drawing. The drawing will include several prizes according to the salseros. The prizes include two private salsa lessons valued at $150, one private ballroom lesson valued at $75 and one month of free entry to Fresno State Salsa Club Salsa̢۪s Nights.

Martinez said that the club is looking forward to incorporating a drawing into this year̢۪s party.

“It allows us to give back in a way,â€Â Martinez said. “Hopefully it will bring more people to the party.â€Â

To be included in the drawing, the salsa club is asking for a donation of $10 to help fund the Fresno State salsa club and ensure the club will continually evolve by supporting their instructors, transportation and any other necessary resources to perform properly. Martinez added that the winners of the drawing do not have to be present to receive their prize. He said the winners could be notified by e-mail or phone.

Martinez also said the Halloween party is funded by the fees the club receives from giving their weekly salsa lessons.

According to Martinez, the club is expecting anywhere from 35 to 45 people in attendance. He also added that no matter how many people show up, everyone will have a good time.

“We really do not care how many people show up,â€Â Martinez said. “Of course we would like to have as many people as we can, but no matter the number, we will have a great time.â€Â

Martinez believes that all students should attend the party, no matter their current level of dancing.

“We have something for each level of dancer,â€Â Martinez said. “Do not feel intimidated if you are brand new to salsa dancing. No one will judge you, everyone is there to help each other and have a good time.â€Â

Senior Kevin Young said he attended the party two years ago and had a great time.

“I had a better time than I thought I would,â€Â Young said. “I didn’t know much about salsa dancing, but I still had a really good time.â€Â
Martinez also had a message for students who are thinking about attending.

“If you have a costume, or if you want to learn some moves or already have the moves come out on Friday and have a good time.â€Â

Martinez also said that from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., the salsa club will be giving their weekly lessons before the party to help anyone who needs a little more instruction.