Health dept. finds violations on campus

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian

One restaurant on the California State University, Fresno campus has violated multiple health codes, including holding food at improper temperatures and having dead mice and mouse droppings present.

Subway, located on the first floor of the University Student Union, received the most violations of any on-campus restaurant. Subway violated seven different codes, according to the Fresno County Health Department.

One of the seven minor violations involved holding food at improper temperatures. According to the inspection report, the chicken was held at a temperature between 44 and 47 degrees Fahrenheit, while the steak was held at a temperature of 51 degrees Fahrenheit. Both of the foods were supposed to be held or stored at a temperature at or below 41 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition, the tuna ̢۬was held at an improper temperature, two degrees above the intended holding temperature.

Olga Granado, a health inspector for the Fresno County Health Department, said holding chicken at improper temperatures could be a problem.

“The chicken or steak could make someone sick if they were exposed at the improper temperature for a prolonged period of time, roughly four hours,â€Â Granado said. “There is a chance that a food-borne illness could occur.â€Â
Another health code violation fell under the category of vermin. Subway violated health code No. 23, which lays out a policy of, “no rodents, insects, birds or animals.â€Â

According to the Department of Public Health, there were two dead mice underneath a storage rack. There were also dead flies and mice droppings on top of the dishwasher and on top of a shelf above the sink.

Granado said the mice could possibly spread disease. She said anything near the mice would have to be sanitized promptly.

Last year, Subway was listed as having zero health code violations in an article published by The Collegian in September 2008.

Deborah Adishian-Astone, associate vice president for auxiliary operations and enterprise development, said she was unhappy about the health report that took place on Sept. 9.

“I was not pleased about it,â€Â Adishian-Astone said in an e-mail interview with The Collegian. “However, many of the deficiencies were minor in nature, which is not unusual for any food service operation.â€Â

Granado said that on a routine inspection, the temperature of the food is checked and the restaurant is checked for vermin. She also said they make sure everything is sanitary.

Sophomore David Chen feels that Subway̢۪s violations are unacceptable.

“That is absolutely disgusting,â€Â Chen said. “How can they allow mice to infest the storage area? Did they continue to serve food that day? I would hope they shut down because the mice could have gotten into some of the food and contaminated it.â€Â

Adishian-Astone said that this was not the case.

“No, Subway did not close that day,â€Â Adishian-Astone said.

“There were no mice near any food product.â€Â

All restaurants on campus, including Subway, passed their health inspections, because no violations were considered “majorâ€Â by the health department.

Three of the other 11 on-campus restaurants were found to be in violation of a health code. Starbucks, Chick-fil-A and the Residence Dining Hall each had two minor violations.

̢۬Adishian-Astone said all of the violations that occurred at the on-campus restaurants were dealt with in a swift manner.

“Yes [the violations were fixed], in accordance with our established operating procedures. All of our managers and supervisors know that we are to immediately fix or address any deficiencies,â€Â Adishian-Astone said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

john3450Dec 27, 2009 at 3:36 am

It's more better than that.

thatfresnodudeNov 3, 2009 at 1:30 pm

that’s just nasty.

thatfresnodudeNov 3, 2009 at 9:30 pm

that’s just nasty.