Fresno State upgrades phone system, some callers dissatisfied

California State University, Fresno installed a $2.2 million phone upgrade last spring, but problems with the voicemail system are just some of the concerns among Fresno State faculty and staff.

Fresno State has teamed up with Avaya phone systems and installed new phones throughout campus. Although the new system is supposed to save money, some faculty members find the changes inconvenient and troublesome.

Compared to the previous phone system, which had been in place for 20 years, the Avaya phone system offers many new and improved features, according to the department of information technology services. Caller identification is now displayed for calls originating on and off campus. The phones also have speakerphone capabilities and music for callers on hold to listen to, and there is a new multi-way calling system that allows for up to six-person conference calls.

According to the online help center for the information technology services department, the new phone system is reasonably priced compared to other landlines.

“At $11 per month [per phone], the cost for service being offered through the Bulldog Calling project is very reasonable. For a comparable plan, traditional home phone service-providers are charging from $25 to $49.99,â€Â said the online help center for the information technology services department.

Philip Neufeld, associate director of the information technology services department, agrees that the Avaya phone system is cost effective.
“The new phones were budget appropriate,â€Â Neufeld said.

The online help center also mentioned the changes that have been made considering the current budget situation.

“We have revised the schedule and limited the scope of the project to stretch our limited fiscal resources across two fiscal years and more accurately match expected cash flow,â€Â according to the online help center. “We are also working with departments to reduce the number of phone devices and lines required across the campus.â€Â

However, some faculty are having problems with the new phones.

Kenneth J. Ryan, an assistant professor in the department of criminology, described his specific problems with the new system.

“I’ve had problems regarding voice messaging,â€Â Ryan said. “I’m prompted to push the number one to retrieve my voicemail … but no prompt is given for me to retrieve these. Heaven only knows what I’ve missed.â€Â

Ryan said he tells everyone to use the e-mail system instead of calling him.

Admissions coordinator for the nursing and physical therapy department, Penny Lacy, said she has experienced some problems as well.

“I have some issues with the fact that this system no longer allows us to put an “out of officeâ€Â message on it that does not allow people to leave messages when we are away,â€Â Lacy said. “I wanted to put this kind of message on my phone this summer when I was out on a three week vacation to direct callers to contact another office for help. These phones don’t allow you to do that.â€Â

Neufeld said many of the small problems and difficulties will be fixed over time.

“Many problems we have faced are due to transition,â€Â Neufeld said. “Small problems will eventually be fixed once everyone becomes acclimated with the system. Keep in my mind, we are not completely finished with the project yet.â€Â

Neufeld also said that if a faculty or staff member does have a problem with the new system, they should call the help center to fix the problem.
“If a faculty member has a problem, they will call the help desk,â€Â Neufeld said. “We have a project task force for each kind of problem. Most problems or difficulties are fixed within the day.â€Â

Because the system is new and everyone is not familiar with it, there have been more complaints this year than in past years, but according to Neufeld, that is to be expected.

Neufeld said the complete phone overhaul will be finished in the upcoming months.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Travis WallsOct 14, 2009 at 9:09 pm

How long does it take to get the new phone system installed and wrinkle free, Mr. Neufeld. I wonder about your technical ability and your though process since this project began it’s been a bust. Good thing you’ve only implemented minimal options as to reduce problems and cost of training.

Travis WallsOct 15, 2009 at 4:09 am