Fresno State fire baton twirler spins at ’49er game

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian

California State University, Fresno Bulldog Marching Band twirler, Emily Ash, performed Sunday at the ‘49er game in San Francisco.

Entertainment booker for the ’49ers asked the feature baton twirler to perform at the game for college day.

“She saw me at the Boise game and knew they were going to have a college day coming up. She asked me perform and represent Fresno State at their college day football game,â€Â Ash said.

Ash, an education graduate student, started twirling for Fresno State with the band in the fall 2004 season and continued through the fall 2005 season.

After graduating, she came back in fall 2008 as a graduate student and started twirling again for the fall 2008 season.

For the first two years as an undergrad, Ash was in color guard and spun the flag.

Associate director of bands, Timothy Anderson, said Ash is very down to earth.

“Many times someone featured, like the baton twirler, can let the spotlight go their head. Not so with Emily. We’re very fortunate to have her here at Fresno State,â€Â Anderson said.

Ash said she has never performed in such a professional arena before.

“The biggest football arena that I’ve actually spun in was in 2005 when we went to the Liberty Bowl with the football team in Tennessee,â€Â Ash said.

Director of bands and music professor Gary P. Gilroy has known Ash for about 10 years and worked with her when she came to Fresno State as a freshman.

“She worked hard to earn the spot and eventually was one of the best twirlers we ever had,â€Â Gilroy said. “I admire her for her strong work ethic and easy going attitude.â€Â

Ash has twirled batons since she was four years old. She started in a group called Redwood Empire Baton Core in Santa Rosa, Calif.

“I first started doing competitions and parades and won a bunch of awards and went on to some higher competitions when I was younger. I went to both state and national level,â€Â Ash said.

According to Ash, the field show and halftime show isn̢۪t something that is done with the band at football games in Santa Rosa so she participated in a lot of parades.

“I have been self-coached and choreographed since then,â€Â Ash said.

One of Ash̢۪s best memories was when she went to a national championship in 1992 and took fourth in the nation. She recalled being nervous to perform because it was a tough competition and she was really young.

But one of her fondest memories comes from all the trips she has taken with the marching band.

“Just having the ability and chance to travel to different cities, and even different states, to perform and represent Fresno State. Those are always the most memorable,â€Â Ash said.

At the ‘49er game, Ash did a solo performance at the end of the first quarter, spinning three fire batons.

“I’ve gotten quite a bit more comfortable with it and used to the routine of actually lighting them and getting them organized so that everything is as safe as it can possibly be,â€Â Ash said.

Ash has been spinning batons since 2004. This is her first year spinning three fire batons.

Administrative assistant for the marching band Sindi McGuire said, “The funniest part is watching her helpers try to help her put out the flames. She has no fear, but all the helpers seem to back off and she has to do it herself.â€Â

Ash always has a positive outlook and is very dedicated to her performances. She will step up whenever asked to volunteer for any event, even if it̢۪s unrelated to Fresno State, McGuire said.

Ash would like baton twirling to be a part of her future but it̢۪s not likely because there̢۪s not much to do with it except in the entertainment arena. She plans to pass the skill down to her kids, grandkids and to the niece she now has.

“It’s almost a dying skill that I would like to see live on,â€Â Ash said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• O

OlderTwirlerAug 12, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Olivia,
    I was an advanced champion and a current judge-in-training. Unfortunately, the number of competitors has shrunk in both major organizations, both in number and sheer depth at any given contest. It would be wonderful to see twirling revived.

• O

Olivia PerryMar 24, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Baton twirling isnt dying out its more like its growing. I am a regional, state and national champion in baton twirling and if anything the sport is getting more and more recognition. great job by the way.

• O

Olivia PerryMar 24, 2010 at 11:17 am