Fresno State board will vote to approve random drug testing

California State University, Fresno’s Association Board of Directors is inching toward implementing a new policy to conduct random drug testing for auxiliary services employees starting New Year’s Day.

In an e-mail interview with The Collegian, executive director of auxiliary services Debbie Adishian-Astone said the association̢۪s human resource office presented the proposal to the board of directors at the Sept. 29 meeting as part of the update for the employee handbook.

Adishian-Astone said that the random drug testing policy would ensure the safety and security of our employees and the campus community which we serve.

The association manages the on-campus auxiliary services commercial operations, benefiting Fresno State students, faculty and staff. Operations include the Kennel Bookstore, Student Recreation Center, University Dining Services, University Courtyard and University Student Union.

Testing options would vary depending on different circumstances, Adishian-Astone said. Pre-employment drug testing, testing based on reasonable suspicion and testing based on a work-related injury, would be included in the association̢۪s drug and alcohol policy and apply to all auxiliary services employees. Random drug testing would only apply to those employees working in safety-sensitive positions, Adishian-Astone said.

A safety-sensitive position is one that involves the operation of equipment, driving vehicles, handling food or any other type of situation that presents danger of bodily injury or life threatening danger to the employee or others, Adishian-Astone explained.

Alex Garcia, chair of the USU board of directors, is a student representative on the association board and said that a random drug testing policy could be beneficial.

Garcia, who had to take a random drug test for a restaurant job in high school, said he understands the importance of drug testing, especially in the food service industry.

“It is important because [dining services] provides food services to the students,â€Â Garcia said. “Not only would the quality of food be decreased if someone were doing drugs, messing around on the job, but also they would put themselves in danger.â€Â

Garcia agrees that only employees in safety-sensitive positions should be subject to the random testing.

“If [random drug testing] were for all employees, I almost see it as kind of a waste of money, because it does cost money to run those drug tests and have them analyzed,â€Â Garcia said. “It may be a preventative tool, but not necessarily for the students who sit at a desk for five hours.â€Â

Sophomore Deirdre Bayne said she isn’t concerned about drug testing when it comes to her job at the Student Recreation Center. “I don’t care,â€Â she said. “I don’t do drugs.â€Â

Bayne, however, said she can understand why the association would propose a drug testing policy for its employees.

“If you’re paying someone to work for you and they’re not having the right state of mind then they shouldn’t be working for you,â€Â she said of workers intoxicated on the job. “You’re just wasting your money because they’re not doing their job right.â€Â

As a Chick-fil-A employee, Melissa Orgon would be among those subject to random testing should the policy go through. She said it might affect some workers, but she̢۪s not worried about it jeopardizing her own job.

“It doesn’t affect me,â€Â Orgon said. “I don’t do drugs.â€Â

The board will vote whether to approve the policy on Dec. 8. If the policy is approved, it will go into effect this January, Adishian-Astone said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

matt gomesApr 18, 2012 at 1:26 pm

is this still in place? you all know that they don’t drug test instructors or professors, right?

• R

RyoNov 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm

I am for it. I feel much safer knowing that the person who is handling my food isn’t on drugs or alcohol.

• R

RyoNov 2, 2009 at 5:47 am

Will Astone be tested?Oct 30, 2009 at 2:16 pm

While I don’t have a problem with the idea of testing, I am troubled and angry, as an employee of the Association, that I have to read about this plan in the Collegian. There has been no mention, let alone a proposal, made to employees. How will the program work? What are the rights of the people involved to privacy, dispute findings etc…? If a retest is called for, who pays?

It seems that the people most affected by this policy change should be consulted and made a part of crafting a workable plan that achieves the goal of increased safety for all and protecting individual rights. Obviously that would require a change in the culture of the leadership at the Association where the belief that they rule, not lead, prevails and their actions are not to be questioned or examined in the light of day. What an insult to the people that actually do the work in the Association.

Will Astone be tested?Oct 30, 2009 at 9:16 pm