Dressing up stereotypes

."
Haisten Willis / The Collegian

Group protests the sale of racial Halloween costumes.

A week after the largest protest staged at California State University, Fresno in nearly 40 years took place, activists staged a smaller demonstration Wednesday in protest of racially insensitive Halloween costumes.

A group of protesters, consisting of Fresno State students and activists from the surrounding community, held signs and flagged down cars in front of the Halloween Express store on East Shaw avenue across from the Save Mart Center.

“We were basically protesting a couple of costumes being sold at [Halloween Express] that are very offensive to me and people out here,” said a Fresno State student who would only identify himself as “Chewy.”

Chewy, who protested with members of Fresno State’s on campus organization, Dia De Los Muertos, said that he was personally offended when he saw a costume that portrayed a stereotypical Mexican male wearing a sombrero and holding a Tequila bottle.

“Being that I was born in Mexico and being that I am a native of this land, I feel that when people start demeaning one culture, whether it be Mexican, Native America, Asian or white, it offends me,” Chewy said. “I hate to see my culture being pimped.”

The near hour-long protests garnered polarizing responses from passers-by, according to Chewy.

“Most Fresno State students seem to be very supportive of the demonstration,” Chewy said. “But, there are some members of the community that have given us the finger or have booed us. They generally seem to be in disagreement with what’s going on.”

Earlier this month several major retail chains sparked outrage from immigrant advocates after a Halloween costume depicting a space creature in an orange prison uniform inscribed with the words “illegal alien” was sold. Some of the costumes were removed from store shelves. The broader implication, however, centers on the debate regarding the U.S. government’s designation of foreigners as aliens.

“In doing some research online, we found that [Halloween express] was the only one still carrying them around here,” Chewy said.

Forty-five minutes into the protest, the stores manager Mike Olson met briefly with the protesters while they expressed their grievances.

According to Olson, Halloween Express’ corporate headquarters handles the majority of the stocking for the store and he knew only vaguely of the costumes that sparked the outrage.

“From where we are, it’s a customer based business,” Olson said. “If it is something that turns them off, then we’re not forcing or putting it out in front and saying ‘hey, this is something we promote.’”

However, Olson said that he recognizes that some people might take offense to some costumes.

“For sure, people might find [the costumes] offensive,” Olson said. “But for the general consensus of the public, I don’t think we do anything beyond what is considered acceptable.”

Inside the store The Collegian found seven instances of racially themed costumes including a costume which depicted an Arabic Sheik replete with a thick black mustache, a Native American dressed in brown buckskin-like clothing complete with a headdress and a white trash costume that consists of an off-colored trash can bearing the words “white thrash.”

At Halloween Express, the responses were mixed from shoppers.

Ricardo Andrade, a Fresno State student and a member of a Latino fraternity, said that he was not offended by any of the costumes inside of the store.

“For me I don’t take things to the heart,” Andrade said. “It’s Halloween, have a little fun.”

Although Halloween Express employee Javier Espinoza said that he was shocked when he saw a costume of a Mexican male wearing a poncho and holding a beer, he feels that the Halloween is a time to have fun.

“It’s all fun and games,” Espinoza said. “Some people might get offended but I really don’t care but I really don’t care…it’s cool.”

However, he said that if someone complained about the costumes and the company decided to remove them from the shelves he wouldn’t mind.

“People got a right ya know?”

$100
$500

$100
$500

• E

Eduard CarrochioNov 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm

This ‘Chewy’ Chewbacca guy is actually an AS senator named Luis Sanchez? Well that’s downright shameful…….can anyone say impeach? Can we get confirmation that this is infact AS senator Snachez? Please post if so……

I don’t know about Jose’s claims of racism. I didn’t see a racist comment(s) in ANY posts. Did they pull a post than was vitriolic. But thank you for your service to this fine nation, Jose. You seem like a rational person.

Anyhow, I just love how supposedly marginalized groups only have the option of taking their frustrations out on the capitalist white man’s customs and celebrations—–as if childhood obesity, bad parenting/teenage pregnancy and gang membership with Latino youth isn’t impacting the Latino/Chicano/a/Hispanic/Mexican-American communities———we gots ta get out there and make sure the Speedy Gonzales costume is BANNED NATIONALLY——LOL—-just too funny.

• E

Eduard CarrochioNov 2, 2009 at 5:13 am

Concerned StudentNov 1, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I think it is great that ASI Senator Luis Sanchez chose to be reported as his pseudonym “Chewy”, as if he didn’t want his actions to be tied to his name. I mean someone who has been instrumental in the various events of student activism on campus, and who is quick to get fellow students to sign his petitions, wouldn’t put his name on something. It is just interesting.

Concerned StudentNov 2, 2009 at 4:05 am

DdbrownNov 1, 2009 at 12:45 pm

@Joe, this isn’t an attack on Hispanics or any other race, but a critique of a protest. Go ahead and take your racist comments elsewhere

DdbrownNov 1, 2009 at 7:45 pm

JoseOct 31, 2009 at 10:33 am

Joe, I am angry too about that incident in Richmond. How can it be? It could have been White, African-Americans, Asian, etc. but don’t condemn or insult me for being an American of Mexican descent. There are good and bad apples on the basket. How about the Columbine HS incident? Who commited this attrocity? How about the Oklahoma Bombing, one of our own Army grunts did this. His name was Timothy James McVeighour. I, as a former Army Infantry soldier, I wonder, how could he had done such attrocity against our country. Your “Get out of my country mexicans” comment will not fix the problem. All you are doing is generalizing a group of people and being a “typical” ignorant as you put it.

JoseOct 31, 2009 at 5:33 pm

ChewyOct 30, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I understand that it is “America” and we have a freedom to express our selves, but for that same reason I was out there. If you don’t care that cultures are being depicted in a disrespectful manner then I can respect that. As for the covering of the face, that represents the people in this country that don’t have a voice or a face. And for the record the group that was out there was the Fresno Brown Berets, not the Dia De Los Muertos.

ChewyOct 30, 2009 at 8:19 pm

• N

name requiredOct 30, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Fresno State has lacrosse?

• N

name requiredOct 30, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Fresno State has lacrosse?

DdbrownOct 30, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Great coverage of a ten person protest fighting a Halloween ritual that’s as irrelevant as Fresno state lacrosse.

DdbrownOct 30, 2009 at 7:19 pm

• N

NooryOct 29, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Get a life, ‘Chewy.’

The Halloween Express employees have the right idea—–it’s all fun and games. Don’t take things to be so personal. I’m amazed at the insincere, supposed offense that everybody claims to take at the drop of a hat. When Chewy calls whites ‘Gingos’ it might very well be offensive, but hey, this isn’t Mexico—–we live in a free country and speech and expression both conform to that standard.

So Chewy protests the halloween costumes yet goes wearing the bandito costume? very smart!!!

One more item, Collegian, Mexico/Mexican IS NOT A RACE, it’s a nationality. Are ‘American’s a race? Are Canadians a race? Are Britons a race? No, no, and no.

• N

NooryOct 30, 2009 at 6:21 am

Get a life, ‘Chewy.’