Bulldogs split weekend games

Matt Weir/The Collegian

The Fresno State̢۪s women soccer team played two home games this weekend against two teams from the state of Idaho, taking on the Idaho Vandals and the Boise State Broncos for Western Athletic Conference (WAC) games.

The Bulldogs only scored two goals in two games, but were still able to split the two weekend games.
Boise State beat the Bulldogs 2-1 on Friday night, but the ‘Dogs go the best of Idaho, winning 1-0 on Sunday afternoon.

The first goal by Boise State came in the 21st minute on a free kick and the second goal against Fresno State came from a scramble.

Head Coach Brian Zwaschka said the second goal came because of a lack of patience.

“We got a little over zealous of trying to win the ball and hit it clear,â€Â Zwaschka said.

Goalkeeper Kaitlyn Revel said the difference in that game came from not paying attention.

“We fell asleep for two seconds in that game,â€Â Revel said.

Fresno State took 16 shot attempts, ten of those attempts came on goal. Boise State, on the other hand, had only six attempts with five of them on goal. With the ten goal shots for the Bulldogs, only one made it into the net.

Claudia Cardenas had the lone standing goal with an assist from Nicole Duff. The score did not come until the final minute of play on Friday night.

Cardenas, who only played for 64 minutes, said it was great to score, but the timing of the goal could have been better.

“I wish it had been earlier in the game. It would’ve switched momentum and we probably would have gotten more in,â€Â Cardenas said.

Friday was a bust for the ̢۪Dogs, but Sunday offered a chance for Fresno State to get at least one weekend victory.

The Bulldogs got the victory against the Vandals with a score of 1-0. Fresno State̢۪s overall record improved to 6-11 (4-3 in the WAC).

The only goal of the game came early in play. The ̢۪Dogs, for a second game in a row, had 16 shots.
The score was a deflected shot from Bradlee DeShane to Bianca Lopez. It was the first goal of the season for Lopez.

“I’ve had shots before but it was my time it went in,â€Â Lopez said.

The Bulldogs will conclude their season next weekend at San Jose State on Friday afternoon.