Bulldog game day

."
Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Entering the 2009 season, Fresno State expected to run the ball more often than not with its stable of talented tailbacks.

While the Bulldogs do rush the football for 278 yards per game compared to 181 yards through the air, the stable of tailbacks has turned into one go-to player – Ryan Mathews.

Pat Hill is often criticized for his team’s conservative play calling, but according to Hill, “The run game is coming back in college football.”
He may be right. And it may be Mathews single-handedly bringing it back into vogue.

The junior is leading the nation with 162 rushing yards per game and 974 total rushing yards after six games, averaging 7.4 yards per carry.

New Mexico State’s new and improved defense will have its hands full with Mathews and the ’Dogs’ rushing attack. The Aggies have allowed 12 rushing touchdowns and have surrendered 5.1 yards per carry.

The Bulldog defense no longer has to worry about stopping the pass-happy “Air Raid” system. The Aggies have converted to a more conventional pro-style offense – the same thing Fresno State sees every day in practice.

The Aggies rank last in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) in passing offense and scoring offense. Translation: they cannot make the big play.

Expect defensive coordinator Randy Stewart to take his chances and bring the blitz on every third down, making it a long night for the Aggies.

Breakdown: Aggies

Changing an entire football program and its surrounding culture is never easy – especially trying to do it all in one year. With the hire of coach DeWayne Walker last December, the New Mexico State Aggies decided to take on the tall task.

Walker, the defensive coordinator at UCLA last season, is doing his best to install new schemes, but most importantly a new mindset – defense first.

The Aggies have improved their defense in only one season and the unit is the third best in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

Walker’s defense is giving up 363 yards and 27 points per game, improved from 379 yards and 34 points per game in 2008. While the defense might be slightly improved, the offensive production has suffered.

New Mexico State was known for its signature “Air Raid” offense, but without coach Hal Mumme to coordinate and quarterback Chase Holbrook to run the show, the Aggies have been forced to try and run the ball.

Unfortunately for the Aggies, their only offensive weapon is tailback Seth Smith, the WAC’s No. 6 rusher in 2009. The junior college transfer (College of the Sequoias) averages 85 yards per game, but has only scored one touchdown this year.

It will take an outstanding defensive performance from the Aggies to challenge the ’Dogs, but even so, they just don’t have the firepower without the “Air Raid.”