Federal funds boost CSU class offerings, retain lecturers

The California State University system will add course sections and classes for students thanks to a one-time $25 million fund, according to a news release from CSU officials.

California State University, Fresno will receive approximately $1.4 million from the fund, said President John D. Welty in a video release. This allocation will allow Fresno State to add over 200 course sections and retain approximately 50 lecturers.

“Although the funding is provided on a one-time basis, it is good news for our campus and system and will allow us to help students get the courses they need to progress in their studies,â€Â Welty said.

Welty said that the university̢۪s attention turns toward planning for the 2010-11 budget as the spring semester approaches.

“[It] will be a very difficult budget year, but at least for now we’ve got some stability,â€Â Welty said.

Students and faculty have felt the crunch from the CSU as it works to address the $564 million budget cut for 2009-10. The CSU has implemented employee furloughs, reduced faculty, enrollment cuts and increased student fees.

The one-time federal allocation totaled $77.5 million to help the CSU system meet its payroll. In turn, the CSU will use monies previously set aside for payroll to add the course sections.

Systemwide, CSU campuses will add up to 4,000 additional course sections and potentially retain up to 800 lecturers for the spring semester.

The CSU Chancellor Charles B. Reed said that the additional classes will help students, and allow a number of lecturers to retain their jobs.

“We hope this will provide some relief for students who have had difficulty enrolling in an adequate number of classes, as well as help make progress toward their degree,â€Â Reed said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• L

Lisa FarrellOct 23, 2009 at 4:10 pm

This is great but not enough. They cut 1000 classes and will now reinstate only 200, thats not even 1/4 of what they cut. They layed off about 200 faculty and will only retain 50?! what about the others? what about FURLOUGHS? our faculty deserve to get paid for what they signed up for, they need to feed their families too. and what does that say about the QUALITY OF OUR EDUCATION if we’re still paying more (and are expected to pay more) for OVERWORKED faculty! I’m sick and tired of this. OPEN THIS UNIVERSITY’S BOOKS and I mean AUXILLARY’S BOOKS and let US decide where cuts need to be made!

• L

Lisa FarrellOct 23, 2009 at 11:10 pm