Welty addresses campus in town-hall meeting

Matt Weir / The Collegian

Associated Students, Inc. held a town hall meeting Tuesday attended by President John Welty, as well as several other administrators, to tackle questions and concerns about budget cuts from concerned faculty and students.

Welty and Cynthia Teniente-Matson, vice president for administration and chief financial officer, fielded most of the questions from students and faculty.

The meeting was held in the Satellite Student Union, and although the turnout itself was not overwhelming, the emotion by those in attendance was not lacking.

Athletic funding was a hot button topic and students expressed frustration over the amount of money that the football team receives.
Welty said that athletics has a $25 million budget.

“About 20 percent of that comes from the state operating fund. The other $20 million is generated through ticket sales, marketing, gifts and other sources,â€Â he said.

Welty repeatedly assured the crowd that every department and campus employee, except for those in Unit 6, received equal cuts of courses and salary. Unit 6 did not vote to take furloughs and will see layoffs instead.

One student asked why funds could not be funneled from other areas. She cited the construction that she had seen around campus.
Welty said that a capital bond process funds all construction projects.

“Which means that the voters of the state of California vote, anywhere from one to every three years, on bond projects for educational facilities,â€Â Welty said.

He went on to say that those funds could not be used for anything other than what the voters decided, and it would take another vote to change them.

Welty and Matson presented facts, including a pie chart that broke down the campus̢۪ operating funds. The facts did not seem to be sufficient for some in attendance.

“I still have the same concerns. I don’t feel completely confident or satisfied,â€Â said Mayra Miranda, senior women’s studies major.
Miranda also said that her graduation would be postponed because of course cuts.

“I got cut from two classes – they were dropped. I have to spend extra time,â€Â she said.

The afternoon came to a climax when a group called Students for Quality Education presented a list of demands to the administrators. The group did not have their demands addressed directly, but were given advice on the protocol for submitting their requests to ASI.

One faculty member, Michael Becker, addressed issues of fairness. He said that a 10 percent cut for some faculty members means difficulty in paying their mortgage, while a 10 percent cut for administrators, like Welty or CSU Chancellor Charles Reed, would not have the same impact.

“There really isn’t, at least for a lot of people, a sense of shared sacrifice,â€Â Becker said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

Karl MarxSep 10, 2009 at 9:24 pm

People need to get over this. CSU Fresno is still one of the most affordable colleges in the NATION. That’s right, the NATION. Get over it people, I, along with the rest of you, along with the rest of the country are having to face financial hardships. Quit whining and do what you need to do.

• K

Karl MarxSep 11, 2009 at 4:24 am

juniorSep 10, 2009 at 8:52 am

So just because Welty makes more than a general faculty member, he should be forced to take a greater pay cut? How is that fair?

juniorSep 10, 2009 at 3:52 pm