Volleyball finishes 1-2 at Sac Invite

The Fresno State women̢۪s volleyball team continued its season in Sacramento this weekend, as the Bulldogs took part in the Hornet Invitational hosted by Sacramento State.

The ̢۪Dogs won their opening match against Alabama, before losing their final two matches to Sacramento State and University of San Francisco.

In the opener, the ‘Dogs (6-3) played a very competitive match against Alabama and won in five sets. Lauren Berger had a career-high 17 kills in the match.

The win gave Fresno State a 6-1 record, which was the team̢۪s best start since 2004. The Bulldogs also had a four-match winning streak, their longest since 2003. The winning streak was broken by the Hornets in the very next match.

The Hornets stung the Bulldogs in a competitive match, winning in five sets. Brianna Clarke, who had 16 kills, led the Bulldogs. The loss dropped the ̢۪Dogs to 6-2 on the season.

Finally, in the last match of the tournament, Fresno State battled the Dons of San Francisco. The ̢۪Dogs fell in straight sets 23-25, 20-25 and 23-25.

Berger was named to the All-Tournament team. The volleyball team now heads south to take part in the Northridge/USC tournament Sept. 18 and 19. The Bulldogs will face Northridge Friday night and end the weekend with matches against Portland and USC on Saturday.