Volleyball drops WAC opener

The Fresno State women̢۪s volleyball team fell in its opening match of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) season, losing in four sets to the Wolf Pack of Nevada (4-9,1-0).

The Bulldogs got a great effort from Baylee Platt, who had a season-high 21 kills in the match. The ̢۪Dogs jumped out to an early lead, 4-1, in the first set and were up by as many as seven at 18-11, but Nevada rallied back to take the first set 25-23.

After a 25-21 win in the second game, the ̢۪Dogs continued to play tough against Nevada jumping out to leads in the next two sets as well. However, in both cases they could not hold on to the leads, as they lost those two games 23-25 and 24-26.

The loss drops the Bulldogs to 7-6 and 0-1 in the WAC. They continue WAC play this week on the road traveling to Boise State on Oct.1 and Idaho on Oct.3.

Soccer losses again

The Fresno State women̢۪s soccer team continues to struggle, as it fell once again, this time losing 2-0 to Sacramento State in front of about 700 fans at Bulldog Stadium Sunday.

Sacramento player Cori Shreve scored seven minutes into the game from 25 yards out. Later Shea Roberts added another goal in the 75th minute for the Hornets to give them the win.

Fresno State goalkeeper Kaitlyn Revel had three saves on six shots.

The loss drops the Bulldogs to 2-7 on the season. The Bulldogs hit the road to take on Saint Mary̢۪s on Wednesday.