The effects of too much

Overindulgence. For some reason this word has been on my mind lately. It seems to be all around us, from the comical or pathetic to the misleading and corrupt. In the simplest forms, it̢۪s that thing that makes you simultaneously chubby and poor: too much pizza and beer, too much money spent on pizza and beer. It can also reach more complex and harmful levels, like the gangsta moves Huron̢۪s mayor has allegedly partaken in.

But whatever form it takes, it seems to be a basis for disorder that can set up the platform for frenzied reactions fueled by the media, economic turmoil and political corruption. Yet it’s definitely not something limited to the media, politicians or even the oft-derided “Gen Y.â€Â Most of society, regardless of age or status, pretty much fits the self-involved and overindulged bit.

Take, for example, the overplayed song the H1N1 virus has become. It would probably be one of the things people list as a threat to their personal wellbeing. But when considering the statistics, more people will still die this year from what we consider commonplace: drunk driving and, brace yourself NRA members, firearm accidents.

Since we cannot fathom giving up our loved overindulgence in alcohol and self-empowerment, and arguably the false sense of safety we feel with the possession of a gun, as a society we end up overindulging in the threat an unseen killer possesses. Cue the school shutdowns and daily media coverage using raging headlines such as “Dozens of H1N1 cases at Fresno State.â€Â Consequent reaction: “Oh my!â€Â

The same overindulgence is one of the factors that led to the economic situation we̢۪re in. For this one, I̢۪ll place myself as the simplified microeconomics example of economic disorder. After what was probably the hardest semester of the four years I̢۪ve spent at Fresno State, I went on a partying rampage this past summer.

I overindulged by going out whenever possible, foolishly spending money that should have been saved toward upcoming bills. And in all honesty, I had a blast spending away the summer. But I was using money recklessly, more like an established full-time employee than the broke college kid with a maxed-out credit card that I am.

Not only did this leave me with that uncomfortable pudgy feeling, it left me using siblings as my new Master Card.

Take that economic recklessness to a national level and you have yourself one dandy situation, especially when talk of universal health care is on the table. Attempting to find a solution is not only good, it̢۪s absolutely necessary.

The overindulgence that can be seen in the media, daily unemployment rate forecasts, Tea Party protests fighting a “socialistâ€Â president and wild town hall meetings only works to stall progress. We become concerned with the sensationalist claims each side makes rather than working our way toward solutions by focusing on the legitimate concerns raised.

Failing to agree on matters is not entirely what keeps us from reaching solutions. It̢۪s our overindulgence in what we would rather see as a threat, what is easier to argue or fight against. It̢۪s our overindulgence in what we see best for ourselves at this particular time.

Illustrated quite literally by the overindulgence in ridiculous fun shown by the University High elevator stunt this week, overindulgence creates messes, stunts movement and, unfortunately, blocks the way toward advancement.