Second hand news

Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

Despite empty pockets and thin wallets students stay fashionable during the recession by hitting-up thrift stores, shopping online and raiding their friend’s closets.

Buyers, celebrities, editors, fashion journalists and socialites alike travel first class from New York to London, London to Milan, and Milan to Paris to sit front row and breathe the air that is Fashion Week.

At the same time, students, faculty and staff travel by foot from class to class to sit in a familiar desk and breathe the air that is the new school year.

For some, staying fashion forward is a full-time job even though fashion week only happens twice a year.

But don’t think that just because the economy has taken a downturn that your style has to as well.

Matt Weir / The Collegian

Wearing a forest green cotton sundress banded above the waist, a canvas bag and heart-shaped sun glasses, English major Kayla Kersey looks toward Katy Perry for inspiration when discount shopping.

“I got my ‘Jane is my homegirl’ bag on cafepress.com for only $20,” Kersey said. “It is a Web site to create, buy and sell merchandise and support the arts.”

From hair accessories to toenail polish Kersey’s entire outfit cost $100.

And unless you scored an invitation to this fall’s show, great finds like Kersey’s and liberal studies major Chana Nuon permit bragging rights.

Excluding the vintage heart shaped diamond necklace her mother gave her, Nuon’s grey ankle boots, plaid print skirt and fitted cream top came to a jaw-dropping total of $42 at Forever 21.

Advising students to limit themselves, Nuon recommends knowing how much to spend and not to spend beforehand.

“Be fashionable by making your own accessories,” Nuon said. “It is definitely possible to stay stylish for under $20.”

Music performance major Ian Garoian is proof.

“I got my hat for $14 at Target,” Garoian said about his favorite bargain buy.

“And I try to shop at thrift stores and Goodwill.”

But if raiding secondhand stores isn’t your style, try raiding a friends closet like senior Gina Torres.

“What girls don’t borrow clothes?” Torres asked. “Before going out everyone raids everyone’s closet.”

In the end it is not about whose clothes you wear but how you wear them.

Natural Science major John LeBlanc shows his creativity and confidence [both free accessories] and his custom paint job long board.

Admitting he splurged $185 on his long board from Zoomies, LeBlanc suggests shopping at Khols Department Store and using Suave [shampoo-conditioner combo].

As far as students trying to stay fashionable, “It is all about the hair, sales and clearance,” LeBlanc said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Ben's Quotes to Live BySep 10, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I totally agree. I wear jeans and a white t-shirt pretty much as often as I can get away with it. Fashion shouldn’t be expensive, especially when a recession is in full swing.

Ben's Quotes to Live BySep 11, 2009 at 5:00 am