New beginnings for Fresno State nursing student

Nursing major, Anna Campbell receives $10,000 scholarship and wins national essay contest through the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
Photo courtesy of Department of Nursing / The Collegian

When Anna Campbell graduated college in 2001 she never envisioned herself back at school years later, embarking on a new career.

“I kind of returned to what I’d always thought I’d do, I just kind of took a detour along the way,â€Â nursing student Anna Campbell said. “I really forgot I loved caring for people.â€Â

The 30-year-old Campbell̢۪s detour included a marriage and the birth of her son, Canaan. After earning her bachelor̢۪s degree in Communications, she planned to start a career in the media field as a broadcast news anchor until she realized she wanted an occupation that would allow her to spend time with her son.

Her decision to go back to school and become a nurse emerged when she became the primary caregiver for her 100-year-old great-grandmother. Taking care of her great-grandmother helped re-establish the joy she felt providing health care for others. Campbell enrolled in California State University, Fresno’s accelerated master’s program for nursing in January 2008.

Campbell was chosen as one of 10 students to receive a $10,000 scholarship from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation̢۪s New Careers in Nursing Scholarship Program. She applied for the scholarship with no expectations she would be selected as one of the candidates. She said she was equally surprised and excited when she discovered she was one of 10 applicants to be picked.

“I had hopes for it but you really never know,â€Â Campbell explained. “I just feel like you never know what you are eligible for so just try for everything.â€Â

The foundation̢۪s New Careers in Nursing Scholarship program provides support for students who have received degrees in other studies and entered an accelerated curriculum that would ultimately lead to a career as a registered nurse.

According to Campbell, Financial aid has helped alleviate some of the stress she has endured since returning to school with the additional responsibilities her role as a mother brings. She emphasized that being with her son and caring for him is the most prominent thing in her life.

“It’s so different to be a mom and try to balance it all because he really is my first priority,â€Â she said. “I mean I do my best at nursing school and I give 100 percent but it’s just a really different experience.â€Â

To show her appreciation to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s generosity, Campbell wrote and submitted an essay into the foundation’s “I Believe This About Nursingâ€Â essay contest. The national contest was designed as a way for nursing students to write about their personal experiences encouraging others to enter the nursing profession.

Her essay was picked as one of the winning entries and it was displayed on the foundation̢۪s website.

Campbell̢۪s essay focused on her commitment to uphold her promise to help serve others, both a personal responsibility and an honor she takes seriously. She wrote about the struggles of going back to school, taking care of her great-grandmother, and the devotion she has to providing for her son.

“I just really feel like it’s something that if you’re gonna be good at it, it has to be a calling on your life,â€Â Campbell said. “I just really believe that God has called me to be a nurse and to cure others, to help take care of them when they need it the most. I just love it.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• L

leelehmenNov 12, 2011 at 2:18 am

Helping others is a great service and those who want to enjoy comfort of mind, this is the best practice. Actually, one behaves the way one one-self has been behaved with. Anna Campell is a perfect example of it. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s New Careers in Nursing Scholarship Program helped her in attaining education and now she is using that education for right purpose—-serving people.
    I don’t think however, same scholarship is available for students studying via online means.

leelehmen
    online education consultant

• AnonymousNov 22, 2010 at 4:50 am

I am totally agreed with you Anna; I believe this about nursing… “Nursing is the service of connecting with others in matters of health and spirit.”Although I decided to change careers three years ago, I knew that I did not want to change my approach in helping others. Whether I am teaching teens to be more emotionally self-aware, or providing comfort measures to an injured patient in the hospital, I have kept the ability to heal and connect by using a balance of knowledge and empathy. I recognize the importance of service and am grateful to The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation New Careers in Nursing Scholarship for giving me the opportunity to be a leader in my profession.