If you can’t beat ’em …

Dang, it̢۪s frustrating. Losing to Boise State four years in a row by an average of 26 points, losing in each of my four undergrad years. I thought this game was supposed to be a yearly rivalry.

This sucks.

It would have been nice to get just one victory over the much-hated Broncos. The Bulldogs haven̢۪t beaten them since I was a senior in high school in Fall of 2005.

Oh, by the way, Boise State has beaten Fresno State eight of nine times since 2001. That̢۪s domination. No other way to put it.

My story probably sounds really familiar to seniors at the University of Washington.

Or at least is used to.

Saturday, the then-No. 3 USC Trojans traveled up to Seattle to take on the Huskies. Coach Pete Carroll’s team was favored to win by 19 points. It seemed like it would be just a routine weekend business trip for the near-professional Trojans. After all, the Huskies hadn’t beaten USC since 2001. That was fall semester of eighth grade for the current senior class at “U-Dub.â€Â

In a stunning upset, Washington beat Southern California 16-13 on a 22-yard field goal Saturday with only 2 seconds remaining. The fans stormed the field after the game and they should have – the Huskies didn’t win a single game last year. They were 0-12 and the worst team in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).

And nine months later they beat the No. 3 team in the nation. The Trojans are the best team in their conference, arguably the best program in the country since 2001.

With the win, the Huskies jumped to No. 24 in the AP Poll.

Should I repeat the fact about their 2008 record? The Huskies went 0-12.

And you know how Washington did it? They took old adage, ‘If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em,’ to heart.

After the 2008 season, Washington fired head coach Tyrone Willingham. And they went looking for their next leader who could take down the Men of Troy.

The Huskies considered Pat Hill, who would have been successful in Seattle, but ended up going with Steve Sarkisian – USC’s quarterback coach and offensive coordinator.

Forget being stubborn and losing its eighth game in a row to the Trojans. Washington knows USC is better than them, or used to be better than them. The Huskies acknowledged that fact, tipped their caps to the Trojans̢۪ success and plucked the best assistant from the team that had its number.

Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

By Einstein̢۪s definition, Washington looked pretty smart only 286 days after hiring Sarkisian.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• U

Umi FloodSep 21, 2009 at 10:52 pm

shoot….i started at CSU Fresno in fall of 2001, class of 06 and 08—-how’s it been for me, son.

• U

Umi FloodSep 22, 2009 at 5:52 am

bemorerespectfulSep 21, 2009 at 7:38 am

Thats probably what we need to do.

bemorerespectfulSep 21, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Thats probably what we need to do.