Heap ends four year hiatus with new album

Photo illustration by Joel M. Ede and Matt Weir / The Collegian

Quirky British singer/songwriter Imogen Heap is a one of a kind artist who lets the beat of her music create the lyrics for her latest album Ellipse.

Ellipse, an album four-years in the making, is less ring tone worthy than expected, considering it doesn̢۪t push the electro-pop limits that launched her international following.

But, fans of Heap’s previous albums “I Megaphoneâ€Â and “Speak for Yourselfâ€Â are sure to be pleased.

The seven-year gap between her first two solo albums was due to her collaboration with Guy Sigsworth. The duo formed the band “Frou Frou.” Together the two produced the eclectic hits “Hide and Seekâ€Â and “Let Goâ€Â which were made popular by the TV series The O.C.

Imogen Heap̢۪s peculiar confidence separates her from similar U.K. artist.

Critics argue that Imogen Heap has been missing in action for more years than albums released and yet there is still no sign of lyrical change.

But why change an unbroken voice if it̢۪s the heart that needs mending?

The ethereal tone found in “2-1â€Â is reminiscent of “The Moment I Said Itâ€Â from her second album “Speak for Yourselfâ€Â. On the song, Heap sings about the transformation of galaxies, planets and orbits and compares them to the uncertainty of life and relationships.

The lyrics “things are not always how they seemâ€Â try to make sense of the world. Heap sings that the earth changes from flat to fat unexpectedly—Imogen Heap then leaves listeners with the question, will we be ready?

Heap’s whispery vocals and open for interpretation lyrics define her musical style. The eerily charming song, “Aha!â€Â sounds as if it could have been from the Edward Scissorhands reject collection.

On the song “Swoonâ€Â, Imogen Heap sings about the “new dance” that comes along with having a crush. One of the few upbeat songs on the album, “Swoonâ€Â has the potential to be her next single.

The rush of hormones that enter the body when you “snug in a cinema or get saved from a car” are similar to the giddy sensations felt when track five takes over the headphones of listeners.

Heap also has the science of the ballad down. And the ballad, “Half Lifeâ€Â is sure to be Grey’s Anatomy hit this season. Heaps honest lyrics on the track are capable of creating the most intimate setting in the most crowded room.

The electro-pop track, “Tidalâ€Â and the mystical lyrics from the song “Little Birdâ€Â are recognizable as Imogen Heap songs. In “Little Bird,â€Â a fairy tale conversation with a chirping little bird perched at the window seal, describes an outsiders’ view looking in on a picture perfect family, manicured lawns, orange juice and crossword puzzles decorated with pearly white smiles.
Imogen Heap has once again poured her heart and soul into an album that is undeniably inventive.