Fresno State officials volunteer for cause

Two organizations join forces to combat hunger brought on by drought

In an effort to fight hunger, the Community Food Bank is teaming up with HandsOn Central California to distribute food to those who need it.

According to Cathy Coples, the executive director of HandsOn, the effort comes in the wake of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger̢۪s declaration in June that Fresno County is a disaster area due to the effects of a statewide drought.

This declaration led to the state allocating 3 million pounds of food per month to Fresno County. The food is being distributed in five communities — Huron, San Joaquin, Mendota, Firebaugh, and Selma.
The distribution will continue through the end of October.

HandsOn is focusing on recruiting volunteers, while the food bank is distributing the food on site.

Coples said in a phone interview that the project hinges on volunteers, and that it takes 150-200 people per distribution.

According to Coples, this can pose a problem.

“It’s really challenging to find this many volunteers consistently,â€Â Coples said.

Dana Wilkie, Community Food Bank CEO, agreed.

“The community is really supporting our effort, but because of the unprecedented amount of food being given out, we still don’t have enough volunteers,â€Â Wilkie said.

Members of the administration at Fresno State are urging the school community to get involved.

The Fresno State community is planning to focus their efforts on three distribution days that coincide with administrative furlough days, according to a message from President John D. Welty. These dates are Sept. 25, Oct. 9 and Oct. 23.

Each date has two shifts — one at 8 a.m. and another at 1 p.m.

Wilkie said the morning shift usually has a solid turnout, but fewer volunteers tend to show up after lunch.

“I hate to have to turn hungry people away just because we don’t have volunteers,â€Â Wolikie said.

According to Welty̢۪s statement, he will be working two volunteer shifts in Firebaugh in October. Associate provost Ellen Junn, provost Bill Covino, vice president for university advancement Peter Smits, and vice president for student affairs Paul Oliaro will also be volunteering in Firebaugh.

“I look forward to joining others in our campus community helping distribute food because our work symbolizes Fresno State’s tradition of helping in times of need and underscores our role in community partnerships aimed at improving our region,â€Â Welty said.

Coples said there are several reasons why students might want to volunteer. She said it makes a fun group project, and would meet community service requirements for fraternities, sororities, or other organizations. Also, she said it̢۪s a great way to get exercise.

But the most important reason, Coples said, is to help others.

“They can make sure these families get fed by going to the distribution site,â€Â Coples said.
Wilkie said that a little effort could go a long way.
“An hour or two really makes a big difference when people are hungry,â€Â Wilkie said.