Fight furlough with song

Fight, Varsity!
On your toes dig in and hit that line
We̢۪re all pulling hard for you
So fight and give the best there is in you
Fight, Varsity!
On your toes dig in and hit that line
We̢۪ll fight on to victory
We̢۪re always true to Fresno State!
B-U-L-L-D-O-G-S
Go ‘Dogs Go! Fight ‘Dogs Fight!
Gooooooooo ‘Dogs!
(Repeat)

Learn these words. These are the lyrics to your alma mater̢۪s glorious fight song, the only one you̢۪ll ever have.

Thousands of songs will remind you of your college years, but only this one will remind you of your college.

This is it. Look it up on YouTube. Spend five minutes and get it in your head. It̢۪s free. Just do it (this is a Nike school you know). Just learn the damn song.

Why, you ask? Because college students should just know their school̢۪s fight song.

I came here for graduate school last fall braced and ready for culture shock. Sure enough, I found many things different than they were at my undergraduate school back in Georgia. You know, tri-tip, riding skateboards to class, gangs named after the school mascot. Regular stuff. But there̢۪s no excuse for students here not knowing the fight song.

It̢۪s a matter of taking pride in your school, your city and yourself.

Yes, the song is corny. It̢۪s supposed to be corny. A college fight song is a mixture of secret handshake, time capsule and a ton of classic conditioning. You sing it at games, at tailgates, pregame parties, postgame parties, parties that have nothing to do with sports. Whenever you̢۪re having a good time with your college buds it might find its way into the evening (I̢۪m 24, and yes it̢۪s even more fun when you̢۪re a little inebriated).

You don̢۪t sing it when you̢۪re studying, breaking up or doing other stuff that isn̢۪t fun. Get the idea?

Imagine the entire student section belting out our song after a Fresno State touchdown, commencing in the spell out and the barbaric yelling of “Go ‘Dogs Go! Fight ‘Dogs Fight! Goooooo ‘Dogs!â€Â Imagine that prideful chant which can only be heard here pushing our boys forward. Imagine the Red Wave doing something besides ‘the wave’.

I know what’s next: “But I grew up in Fresno. Going to school here just isn’t that special to me.â€Â You mean you’ve been here your whole life and still haven’t learned the fight song? It’s 30 seconds long!

Think of the thousands of lyrics you̢۪ve memorized effortlessly. You probably spent all summer singing about disco sticks with Lady GaGa and about wanting to [have sexual relations with] every girl in the world with Lil̢۪ Wayne. Surely the fight song can find its place among such prestige.

Let’s go over it together. First, you sing “Fight varsity,â€Â followed by a three lines of lyrics. Then “Fight varsityâ€Â again, followed by three similar lines. Spell the word “bulldogs,â€Â yell “Go ‘Dogs, fight ‘Dogs, go ‘Dogs,â€Â and repeat. Did someone just say our team underachieves?

It̢۪s what college is about. It̢۪s fun. You̢۪ve got a whole day coming up to do it. Learn it and sing it loud and proud from this weekend until the day you enter that great cheering section in the sky. You̢۪re a Fresno State Bulldog, it̢۪s the only one you̢۪ll ever have.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• E

Eric MedinaSep 8, 2009 at 9:32 pm

good job

• E

Eric MedinaSep 8, 2009 at 9:32 pm

DUDE good job you write some good stuff

• E

Eric MedinaSep 9, 2009 at 4:32 am

good job

• E

Eric MedinaSep 9, 2009 at 4:32 am

DUDE good job you write some good stuff

anonymousSep 3, 2009 at 2:03 pm

This is something the Bulldog Marching Band is going to try and work on this year. Now that we’re in the student section we will be doing a singing version of the song and try our best to get the student section to go along with it. GO DOGS!!!

anonymousSep 3, 2009 at 9:03 pm

juniorSep 3, 2009 at 9:43 am

I don’t go there anymore, but I’ll try to learn the song before I go to the game on Saturday.

juniorSep 3, 2009 at 4:43 pm

whateverSep 2, 2009 at 12:48 pm

As an outsider, you fail to realize that most of us don’t take pride in our school, city or ourselves. ROFL

whateverSep 2, 2009 at 7:48 pm