Cyber friends, stalker friends?

We̢۪re not stalkers. Or at least most of us don̢۪t fall under that category.

But you can almost feel like one given the random, funny and at times disturbing information that can be gained by simply looking at “friendsâ€Â status updates, photos and comments on Facebook and Myspace.

Take for example a status update from someone that I went to high school with, it went something like this: “Off to my 2-year-old nephew’s birthday to drink up!!!â€Â Mood: “Pervin’â€Â That’s right, pervin’. It was one of those moments that made you look around to see if anyone else was reacting the same way, while thinking “what the fuhh….â€Â and feeling like you shouldn’t have heard or seen what you did.

Of course many people say they keep their accounts to stay in touch with family and friends near and far or for the convenience of having another means of contacting people. But I say for a great number it̢۪s simply the stalker factor.

It̢۪s being able to see who̢۪s married, has kids, been dumped or thank God, finally got fat. It̢۪s checking if your ex̢۪s new special someone is better looking than you or if your life is still more fabulous in Fresno than so and so̢۪s living in L.A.

Myspace isn’t just a place for friends, it’s also a platform for comparison. It allows you to feel good about your self one moment and then think, “damn I need to get on the treadmillâ€Â the next.

Now I won̢۪t go as far as condemning the Web sites, I̢۪m a double offender myself. But how about using this technology to enable us to reach a friendlier level?

It’s definitely odd to have those “friendsâ€Â that when you see in person a half-meant hello is all that can come out of both. It is as if we’ve become generous with our cyber smiles but forgotten how to do the physical equivalent in the tangible world. And isn’t that what matters the most?

These Web sites for connection are supposed to supply an alternative to communication when seeing the person or even picking up the phone is not convenient or even possible. But they must surely not replace the more personal interaction of hearing the person̢۪s voice or better yet, actually having them in front of you.

So next time you overload on “hugs & kissesâ€Â when writing to someone, think about giving a hearty hello to whomever you actually do run into. And hey, maybe you might even muster up the friendliness for a hug, even if it’s one of those awkward one-arm side hugs.

Well, except if it’s the “pervin’â€Â type, then you’re probably better off with a quick wave.