Crowd rallies against lay-offs

Matt Weir / The Collegian

A group of more than sixty people representing multiple schools in the California State University system, which included members of the California Faculty Association (CFA) and Students United For Quality Education, gathered in the Free Speech Area at Fresno State to protest lay-offs, fee hikes, and furloughs. Carrying handmade signs and shouting chants, the demonstrators made their way to the Henry Madden Library, where they staged a silent protest. University Police arrived in response to the demonstration, since the group did not have the required permit needed to stage a protest inside the library. A closed-door meeting was held after the rally in the Haak Administration Center on the fourth floor of the library.

Matt Weir / The Collegian
$100
$500

$100
$500

JillSep 21, 2009 at 9:33 am

People need to be more respectful..the trash left after the game was uncalled for, and so is the trash left by crony Athletics program.

JillSep 21, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Jared HarperSep 21, 2009 at 12:56 am

wait you cant get rid of Ag and yet keep sports, they go hand in hand. The Agri-business owners are the ones that maintain and fund the “gladiator” domes where they love to watch the little ethnic college boys run, jump, and kick and the ethnic girls dance, shake and cheer while at the same time taking those ethnic college boys and girls cultural identity away from the ed. system. maybe one day those ethnic people will wake up and see the “Green V”alley they live in and work so hard to make points and scores for is the exact same one that is oppressing their own.
    As Andre from Outkast would say – “go ahead and marinate on that”

Jared HarperSep 21, 2009 at 7:56 am

T J RichmondSep 19, 2009 at 12:22 am

An old man once told me that the problem with education today is that we have spread ourselves too thin. Think of it like an apple, crushed flat on the ground. What once was a solid core providing all the necessary components is now a scattered mush of skin, fruit, seeds and even a little dirt mixed in. What he recieved as a university student was a firm foundation fed forcibly down his throat. The essentials: writing, math, science, history. Nothing more, nothing less. It seems as though, through the many cuts to the academic world here at Fresno State, we are gathering the many scattered parts in an attempt to reclaim the whole. Pretty soon, these will be the only classes offered. Instead of being able to peer down at a diverse course catalog and choose the path they wish to take through college, students will be spoon fed their education. No more choices, only what should and can be offered. No more ethinic/gender studies. No more gerontology. No more foreign languages. No more seminars focused on what you like. No more. Who knows, maybe even the Ag program will disappear (just imagine how much that land is worth). But of course, there will be sports. Always sports. Because athletic programs offer so much more than a teacher, or a book, or a club, or a group of friends exercising their minds ever will. As we continue to consolidate those many pieces, let us not forget some of the components that some students, while few perhaps, actually enjoy eating. The seeds, the dirt, the skin, those little morsels that some may see as insignificant, are to us a possibility for our future growth and success.

Peace be to all the Protestors. Continue to speak your minds.

I think that we should be men first, and subjects afterward. It is not so desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right. ~Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience, 1849

T J RichmondSep 19, 2009 at 7:22 am