Bulldog game day

Matt Weir / The Collegian

Fresno State Bulldogs (1-1, 0-0 WAC) vs. No. 10 Boise State Broncos (2-0, 0-0 WAC)

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Since the Broncos joined the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) in 2001, the conference title has gone through Boise. In those eight years, the Broncos have won the conference title six times and Fresno State hasn̢۪t had even a share of the crown.

If Pat Hill and the Bulldogs are going to buck the trend and win the WAC, they must knock out the champs in the conference opener.

Not only are the Broncos the reigning champs, but they also come into the game ranked No. 10 in the nation and are a hated rival.

With so much on the line, the Bulldogs need to avoid a letdown after the first loss of the season. And that starts with the quarterback.

Tonight, Ryan Colburn needs to get comfortable early, play to his strengths and get his explosive receivers and backs the ball, especially against a team that is faster than Wisconsin.

“The gasoline will be spread, we just gotta light the match,â€Â Hill said.

On the defensive side, Fresno State must make its primary goal stopping the run. Boise State̢۪s Kellen Moore is a talented quarterback, but every good offense can run the football.

If the Bulldogs can stop the run, then the offense and its volatile weapons may have a chance in a shootout.

Breakdown: Broncos

When most fans think about Boise State, trick plays and variations of the spread offense come to mind. But in 2009, the Broncos have been a well-balanced football team and are probably best on the defensive side of the ball.

In their first two games of the year against Oregon and Miami (Ohio), the Broncos̢۪ defense has only allowed eight points, all to Oregon.

Boise State̢۪s defense has done everything well, flying around the field with speed. The Broncos have only allowed 34.5 rushing yards per game, held their opposition to 3.2 yards per play, have forced six turnovers and get off the field 68 percent of the time on third down.

The defense is surely the best the Bulldogs have seen this year and coach Pat Hill thinks they are a better team than Wisconsin.

“They’re a legitimate Top 10 football team,â€Â Hill said.

On the offensive side, the Broncos have two tailbacks that ran all over the Bulldogs last time Boise State was in town. In 2007, D.J. Harper ran for 153 yards and a touchdown. His counterpart, Jeremy Avery, ran for 124 yards and three scores.

The two backs were only freshmen in ̢۪07 and will be back, hoping to lead their team to its eighth victory in nine tries over the ̢۪Dogs.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• L

love my peanutsSep 18, 2009 at 11:17 am

FS won in 2005. BSU’s won in 01,02,03,04,06,07,08—-this is 09. do the math

• L

love my peanutsSep 18, 2009 at 6:17 pm

• P

Phuc Dat Hoa BichSep 18, 2009 at 11:14 am

1-8 record this decade against BSU? Gosh that’s bad…..

• P

Phuc Dat Hoa BichSep 18, 2009 at 6:14 pm

• L

Lisa LeeSep 18, 2009 at 10:46 am

I will wear my Bulldog hat with my Boise State t-shirt. Go Bulldogs! Go Bronco’s! and may the best team win!!!

• L

Lisa LeeSep 18, 2009 at 5:46 pm

dontscrewyourselfSep 18, 2009 at 10:02 am

If we dont have any turnovers and play solid we will win. We just need to execute our plays. Go Dogs beat them broncos.

dontscrewyourselfSep 18, 2009 at 5:02 pm