Achievement award given to Fresno State dean

."
Photo courtesy of College of Health and Human Services/ The Collegian

Ben Cuellar gets a jump on his research to enhance the college.

Dean Emeritus Ben Cuellar came to California State University, Fresno in 1978 and received tenure seven years later. Cuellar was the first Chicano dean in the history of Fresno State.

In 1996, he became the permanent dean but stepped down from the position last January.

“When Ben speaks, people listen,” said Paul Beare, dean of Kremen school of education and human development. “He occasionally will make a facetious statement in a meeting, and everyone pauses like they don’t believe he really said that before they laugh.â€Â

Beare said that Cuellar has added a lot to life in the valley.

“He cares about children’s health, but has brought in much money and many professionals to improve things for our residents,â€Â Beare said.

Cuellar has held an administrative role with the university for 22 years.

Assembly member Juan Arambula awarded Cuellar the Outstanding Leadership Award in the Lifetime Achievement category at the 2009 Latino Heritage Awards.

The award was presented to Cuellar for all his accomplishments and the time he has put into the central San Joaquin Valley.

“The award was unexpected. It was a pleasant surprise. It always feels good to be recognized and appreciated for what one has accomplished,â€Â Cuellar said. “I try my best to make a difference and I hope I have.â€Â

Cuellar has established several regional programs such as Central California Training Academy, Central California Health Policy Institute, Central California Obesity Prevention Project, and Social Welfare Evaluation, Research, and Training.

Cuellar was born and raised in Visalia. He was one of six children. He is now married with five children of his own.

After high school, Cuellar enlisted in the Air Force where he served for four years. He then went on to get his bachelor̢۪s degree, which he earned in three years. He went to graduate school at UC Berkley and eventually went to Columbia University in New York City for a fellowship.

Cuellar helps develop leaders along the way with department chairs and faculty. He also gives advice through training and supporting them on leadership development.

“Anyone who gets anywhere has people along the way who support them. I had it along the way so I want to do the same,â€Â Cuellar said.

Cuellar is currently on academic leave to do research for major publications in the field of health and human services and to observe and report on how the centers and institutes in the college might be enhanced in the future.

When Cuellar returns next spring, he will be assisting the dean of the College of Health and Human Services in his oversight of the centers and institutes serving the college.

“Anything I have accomplished as dean has been the result of the work and dedication of the staff and faculty in the College of Health and Human Services at Fresno State,â€Â Cuellar said.

According to people who work with Cuellar, he is dedicated to his work.

John A. Capitman, public health professor and executive director of the Central Valley Health Policy Institute has worked with Cuellar since 2004 when Cuellar hired him to build the institute.

“Ben has a wonderful sense of humor and enduring compassion. He has been a hugely effective advocate for the least well-off in our communities,â€Â Capitman said. “He has been a powerful inspiration for several generations of Latino and other students with immigrant backgrounds as he demonstrates being an academic, and professional success.â€Â

Beare said, “Our former Provost, Jeri Echeverria, now Executive Vice-Chancellor of the whole CSU system always called him the ‘wise one.’ All the deans would be spouting ideas, and then she would turn to Ben and ask what the ‘wise one’ thinks.â€Â

When Cuellar retired, the deans bought him a brick for the Teacher Honor Wall in front of the Kremen Education building, Beare said.

“I made sure it was the first brick put on the new wall that was started. It is in the center of the top row. It says ‘Ben Cuellar, Dean of Wisdom,’â€Â Beare said.