A Reel-flection of Diversity

Twenty years ago, in a lecture hall on the campus of California State University, Fresno, the Fresno Reel Pride Gay and Lesbian Film Festival began as a one day event. In the two decades since, while its size and reputation have grown, the goal of showing quality, independent films with a unique perspective in Fresno hasn̢۪t changed.

From the start, festival director Jon Carroll said the intent was to bring in films that allowed people “to hopefully learn a little bit more and understand what kind of experiences, issues and challenges the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community faces.â€Â

The films have universality to them everyone can relate to, Carroll said. “Whether it was made by a gay filmmaker or a gay storyline, or whether the documentary was about L.G.B.T. issues, these films are the kinds of films that tell the same stories that everyone else experiences – love, lost, triumph over adversity,â€Â said Carroll, who is also the Reel Pride Board Chairman.

Fresno artist Aileen Imperatrice and her husband have sponsored the festival since 2003 and said they have not found a better value for their money. “I have continuously been impressed with the caliber of films that have made their way to Fresno,â€Â Imperatrice said in an e-mail to the Collegian. Reel Pride “gives such a positive reflection of the diversity of our community and is giving Fresno an incredible direct link to movers and shakers in the film and TV industry.â€Â

A distinguishing facet of the festival is the exclusivity of its content. “A lot of the films are what you’d call independent cinema. They may have only one print or they’re made on a shoestring budget, they don’t get big blockbuster releases,â€Â said Carroll, who added that without a program dedicated to bringing in such films, people may never get a chance to see them.

The

“That’s one of the great things about th film festival is that you get to experience something that no one else experiences,â€Â Carroll said. “The festival is capturing a moment in time.â€Â

Filmmaker and Reel Pride Board Member Paula Durette is thankful to see such superior content in the Central Valley. “There is a lack of artistic films in the commercial theater sector here in Fresno,â€Â Durette said in an e-mail to the Collegian. “We are very fortunate that organizations such as Reel Pride and Fresno Filmworks are providing us with a variety of high caliber films that many in Fresno would miss otherwise.â€Â

Film is the preferred mode of expression for Reel Pride. “When the lights go down a lot of preconceived notions, ideas and prejudices just sort of fall away,â€Â Carroll said. “To experience the empathy that a good film provides and takes you on that journey – it does start to impact people.â€Â

The festival̢۪s programmers sort through hundreds of films from all over the world to find the ones that will make the final cut. This year̢۪s festival consists of close to fifty films and features documentaries, feature and short films.

“It is the sixth oldest L.G.B.T. film festival in the country, and I think it gets better and better each year,â€Â Durette said. “The film program this year is spectacular. There are so many incredibly smart and interesting films that will be shown. And Reel Pride isn’t just for the L.G.B.T. community. Anyone who likes great films won’t want to miss this.â€Â
The Fresno Reel Pride Gay and Lesbian Film Festival kicks off Wednesday, Sept. 16 and runs through Sunday, Sept. 20. Reel Pride is offering a limited number of complimentary tickets on a first come, first served basis for students with a valid student I.D. except the opening and closing night films.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Aileen ImperatriceSep 16, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Great article Angelica!
    Glad I could be a part of it.

Aileen Imperatrice, 1992 BA in IT Commercial Arts/Design

Aileen ImperatriceSep 16, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Great article Angelica!
    Glad I could be a part of it.

Matt CunninghamSep 16, 2009 at 10:28 am

I am so proud to return to Fresno this coming weekend to participate in Reel Pride 2009.

I was a freshmen at Fresno State in 1989 when the first one was held and attended the following three years as well.

I am thrilled to see that “our” small festival has grown and been embraced by the Fresno community despite its LGBT theme. Apparently Fresno has come a long way since I was a student and LGBT activist at CSUF. I am now more proud today to call Fresno my home and Fresno State as my university.

Congrats to the founders Ken Fries and Peter Robertson for their groundbreaking vision and to all that have grown and sustained this important cultural experience!

Matt Cunningham, ’93 BA in Journalism

Matt CunninghamSep 16, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Matt Cunningham, ’93 BA in Journalism