A place for tea and art

Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

Downtown tea shop that will quench more than your thirst

A tea market in the Tower District provides a unique space for local artists to display their work.

“I know a lot of people who say ‘oh, well there’s nothing to do in Fresno,â€Â Teazer World Tea Market founder and co-owner Ann McAtee said. “I was one of them.â€Â

Once she was introduced to the artists of Broadway Studios in downtown Fresno, however, that all changed.

“Ever since I met those people and saw what they can create,â€Â McAtee said, “I’ve grown this deep appreciation for the local art.â€Â

When Teazer, an eclectic tea shop, opened its Tower District location in August of 2004, there was no question that art from around Fresno would be included in the store.

“The main point was to put our local art in a place where people would just go for their life, not for the purpose of art appreciation,â€Â McAtee said. “Through that they noticed, ‘wow, what is this?’ and got to learn that there are actually a lot of people in this town that are very talented.â€Â

Fresno City College student Nina Nguyen said she appreciates the local art.

“It shows that Fresno has talented people too,â€Â said Nguyen, who has been a customer of the store for two-years. “You think of artists – you think of bigger places. Then you think, wow, people around us have just as much talent and creativity as anywhere else.â€Â

For McAtee, art is important because everyone interprets it differently.

“Art is about expression,â€Â McAtee said. “We all do different things to express ourselves. I’m using teas, with artists its art – color and shape. It’s an image. It’s something that is beyond words. It’s a way of communicating with people.â€Â

The art that is displayed inside the store is intriguing to Nguyen.

“I always wonder what the artist is actually thinking,â€Â Nguyen said. “What made the person create something like that? What was going through their mind?â€Â

Teazer provides a place to experience and enjoy local art outside the parameters of a usual art gallery, appealing to both the art enthusiasts and tea-lovers alike.

In addition, Teazer is also a venue for young artists who would like to show their own work.

“We always welcome people if they have a sizable collection and they would like to show,â€Â McAtee said. When asked what she’s looking for in a collection McAtee replied, “I really can’t tell you with words.â€Â

To submit your work for consideration, send two to three pictures with contact information to
[email protected]
.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

RyneSep 11, 2009 at 2:03 pm

I work at Teazer! I love meeting all sorts of interesting people while tending to their thirst of tea. Before then, I would always introduce at least one new friend to their store and to the Tower district several times a month. I’m going to have to get a hard copy of this article to show to Ann.

• R

RyneSep 11, 2009 at 9:03 pm