A not-so-storied rivalry

Every college football season there are certain games that America is going to circle on its calendar.

Ohio State vs. Michigan, Texas vs. Oklahoma and of course, here in the Golden State, “The Big Gameâ€Â between Cal and Stanford.

What makes these games so great is the intense rivalry, deep history and pageantry that goes into these type of games.

Students, alumni and even casual fans can appreciate the magnitude of what these games mean to each institution.

It just feels good to be an American when you see the cadets march out for the Army/Navy game every November.

In the Bay Area, Cal vs. Stanford has been around since 1892.

More than 100 years later the two schools are still battling for the “Stanford Axe,â€Â a trophy given annually to the winner of “The Big Game.â€Â

Basically, Stanford used the axe to cut up a straw man dressed in Cal gear back in the late 1800s during a student rally.

Cal students stole the axe and the legend began. (That̢۪s the Reader̢۪s Digest version.)

So thinking of college football̢۪s greatest rivalries led me to think of Friday night̢۪s contest between the Fresno State Bulldogs and Boise State Broncos.

Chris Petersen’s squad has been labeled Fresno State’s greatest rival by many though Army and Navy would laugh in the faces of anyone who claims this game to be an actual “rivalry.â€Â

There are a couple of small details that make me think that the schools are REALLY reaching to make this a legitimate rivalry.

First off, aren̢۪t rivalries supposed to be two-sided?

Boise State has won seven of the last eight meetings between the two. Ever since the Broncos joined the WAC, they have absolutely dominated Fresno State.

But ‘Dog fans can take comfort in the fact that before Boise joined the conference, Fresno State defeated them three out of three times – nah, doesn’t help.

Secondly, the great rivalries of college football have withstood the test of time.

The “Red River Shootoutâ€Â between Oklahoma and Texas has been an annual matchup since 1900!

Boise vs. Fresno? Laughable.

Between 1977 and 1996 the two teams played each other three times! Wow, my blood is boiling thinking of the years and years of hatred.

And it seems to me that the Fresno fans are the ones making this annual game bigger than it needs to be.

Where did this hatred come from? Because Boise beats the Bulldogs every year?

Boise is also the team getting the WAC recognition every year, so why hate the banner team of the conference?

By the way, Fresno State “playing BCS teams toughâ€Â doesn’t mean recognition; it just gets the Bulldogs air time.

Since joining the conference in 2001, Boise State has won six of the last seven championships and finished undefeated in the regular season twice.

In the last 10 years, Boise owns a 70-5 conference record and has NEVER lost a WAC game on the smurf turf.

Fresno on the other hand since 2001? No conference championships and a 60-26 conference record.

You wouldn̢۪t know the Bulldogs and Broncos are rivals by the way Boise State̢۪s fans treat Fresno State by the way.

They love the Bulldogs.

Fresno State has traveled to Boise State for two bowl games in the past five years and received nothing but love.

After losing to the Broncos, their fans won’t rub it in your face – they’ll shake your hand and say “good game.â€Â

Try getting a Buckeye and Wolverine fan to shake hands. You̢۪d be better off handing each of them a pair of boxing gloves.

Now this isn̢۪t a love letter to Boise State, I̢۪m just stating the facts that the Broncos̢۪ program is just better than Fresno State̢۪s and the results show it plain and simple.

I think a more logistic rivalry would be San Jose State.

Yes, the Bulldogs usually dominate, but the two teams have been playing each other since 1921.

And Nevada? The Wolf Pack has been a Bulldog rival since 1923.

Before Title IX depleted West Coast schools of their football programs, Fullerton, Long Beach and Pacific were all yearly hookups.

So to say Boise State is Fresno State’s “greatest rivalâ€Â seems a bit much to me.

But maybe the Bulldogs will surprise everybody and get back that ever-evasive Milk Jug!

It̢۪s not exactly the Stanford Axe, but maybe in 100 years a young student journalist will look back in the media guide and laugh at how Boise State used to dominate the Bulldogs.

I think ‘Dog fans will just settle with a win on Friday.

$100
$500

$100
$500

morgan thomasSep 19, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I am a die hard Boise fan, but I’ll tell you what: God forbid anything ever happens with Coach Peterson Boise State should long and hard at hiring Pat Hill as a coach. This game was a lot bigger than the Oregon game because of him.

morgan thomasSep 19, 2009 at 7:31 pm

• G

go broncosSep 18, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Hey – good article. Of course I’d say that after seeing the direction it took, ha ha ha. But I just want to apologize for the few idiots who treated Fresno fans in a less than classy manner at past games. I’ve personally never seen any Fresno fan treated poorly or disrespected in any way, but then I am not everywhere all of the time. ALL sports have loser fans, but here in the Boise area we really try to be grown up about all of this, and remember that it is just a stupid game, folks! We try to make the bowl game here at the blue turf each year, regardless of which WAC team plays, and we ALWAYS cheer for the conference to which we belong! Heck, I even root for poor Idaho – 11 games a year LOL!!!
    Everyone have a great evening watching the game tonight, and GO BRONCOS!

• G

go broncosSep 18, 2009 at 9:14 pm

• N

Nick HatamiyaSep 18, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Nice entry…i like how you introduced and compared other school rivalries to fresno v boise st.

GO BEARS and GO DOGS!

• N

Nick HatamiyaSep 18, 2009 at 7:43 pm

GO BEARS and GO DOGS!

• F

FSDogs1Sep 18, 2009 at 10:45 am

“You wouldn’t know the Bulldogs and Broncos are rivals by the way Boise State’s fans treat Fresno State by the way.
    They love the Bulldogs.
    After losing to the Broncos, their fans won’t rub it in your face – they’ll shake your hand and say “good game.â€Â”

The above section is laughable. I have a feeling you weren’t in the stands during those bowl games in boise to experience that not every boise fan was polite. I also have a feeling you didn’t walk out of Bulldog Stadium in 2001, back by the locker rooms, after boise beat No. 8 Fresno State. If you did, you would have heard boise’s players cussing at the fans and taunting them as they walked past.

• F

FSDogs1Sep 18, 2009 at 5:45 pm

They love the Bulldogs.
    After losing to the Broncos, their fans won’t rub it in your face ”“ they’ll shake your hand and say “good game.””

dontscrewyourselfSep 18, 2009 at 10:03 am

Its not such a great rivalry when you lose all the time year in and year out. But if we win this year, and maybe a couple more times it will be a good rivalry.

dontscrewyourselfSep 18, 2009 at 5:03 pm