A night in the life of tailgaters

Tailgaters get together around their cars to barbeque, drink, hangout and get excited for the game on Friday night against Boise State.
Matt Weir / The Collegian

“Anyone, anytime, anywhere.â€Â These three words are inherent with faithful campus tailgaters in Fresno.

Tailgating is a cultural phenomenon that has evolved into an environment for massive cookouts, drinking competitions, and pregame warm ups.

For some fans, tailgating is an opportunity to pound drinks and eat hamburgers while others deem it as more important than the game itself.

“Tailgating is the game,â€Â said California State University, Fresno alumnus Dant Morris. “It’s super important to the whole package.â€Â

The age of attendee̢۪s ranges from young children to retired businessmen seeking a break from a hectic work week. Tailgate attendance has varied from a handful of pregame parties to more than 100 parties per person.

“We’ve hosted more than 100 tailgate parties,â€Â Terrie Antonino, local businesswoman said. “Our parties are business related, we host these as a group.â€Â

People aren̢۪t sticking strictly to Fresno either. Many supporters travel up and down California. The Bulldog faithful bring their enthusiasm and volume to states as far as Tennessee. While some other stadiums have more relaxed policies, recent implementations on campus have gained the attention of partiers.

Campus policy changes have squelched the plans of some fans. Although the majority of tailgaters are unaware of campus tailgating policies, they are affected by university alterations.

Glass bottles and charcoal have been prohibited as a safety precaution to players and spectators. People attending the game are allowed to tailgate no sooner than four hours before the game as well.

According to campus tailgating policies, individuals hosting tailgates where alcohol will be present must be registered as season pass holders or register with the University Police Department on the day of the event.

Much of the campus lawn has been marked off from tailgaters, leaving limited space to enthusiasts. Some supporters have purchased and possess permanent rights to certain areas on campus to tailgate.

David Hall, 64, purchased a tailgating spot on campus for $25 the first year the stadium was open.

Prime locations for tailgating include heavily shaded areas, an obvious choice in Fresno̢۪s heat. More daring supporters seek space away from other patrons in order to move about freely and avoid traffic after the game.

Regardless of rules and regulations, the Red Wave comes out in droves for Saturday̢۪s barnburners at Bulldog Stadium. Followers on campus bring a virtual supermarket of items to eat and drink before the game.

Traditional food at tailgates include: hamburgers, hotdogs, and potato salad. Audacious fans indulge in foreign cuisines deemed uncommon for fare at football games. Lasagna, Mexican food and lamb shank are just a few of the items included in the abundance of choices at Bulldog Stadium.

“Today we have barbecue beef and pulled pork,â€Â Sam Gibbs, Fresno State Alumnus said. “Last week we had Bobby Salazars. It’s pretty random.â€Â

Local fanatics have staked their claim at Bulldog Stadium, making it a premier spot for tailgate parties and cooking.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• P

protocolSep 21, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Almost weird how tailgating’s become so formalized. I remember one time we just kind of set a party up on the fly. I had bought a bbq off of zippee.com and wanted to test it out, so my friend and I just hauled everything off the back and started it up. With everyone who just showed up we ended up grilling through a week’s worth of food, and had to go shopping again the next day.

• P

protocolSep 21, 2009 at 11:56 pm