“Picnic” challenges social norms

Matt Weir / The Collegian

“Life will never be the same when a handsome, mysterious stranger jumps off a train and into the lives of a group of women in a small, mid-western town,” according to playwright William Inge’s production of “Picnic.”

Directed by theatre arts professor Thomas Whit-Ellis, “Picnic,” running Oct. 2-10 at California State University, Fresno’s John Wright Theatre, will be the university’s first play of the 2009-2010 school year.

The play tackles the social prejudice and political conflicts of the 1950s, as experienced through the lives of small town characters.

The casting calls this semester brought hopefuls, however the lead roles of Millie Owens and Hal Carter went to two talented theatre arts students.

Amanda Valdez
Matt Weir / The Collegian

Amanda Valdez discovered her passion for theatre during her freshman year at Madera High School. Ever since, it has become a part of her. Valdez auditioned for “Picnic” despite uncertainty for which character she would portray. Hoping for the best, Valdez earned the lead role of Millie Owens in which she felt a close connection.

Millie Owens, daughter of Madge Owens, lives the life her mother once wished for. Millie’s qualities push Madge into proving her inner maturity rather than the beauty that is only admired on the outside, Valdez explained.

Valdez, who said she was like Millie at age 16, explained that her characters behavior classifies her as a “brainy tomboy” with a desire to be known for her art.

Much like Valdez, Millie sketches, reads obscure books and interacts awkwardly with boys.

“The character is a lot like myself, I actually shared sketches of my own to the cast,” Valdez admitted.

“Picnic” embraces the importance of self-worth and family, but more importantly, the play sends a message to the audience to not be afraid of stepping out of what is considered ‘normal’ in society, Valdez said.
“I, too, hope to hop on a train and head to New York.”

“I just hoped for the best and I’m delighted to have the role I received!” Valdez exclaimed. “Millie Owens is a wonderful character.”

Amanda Valdez
Matt Weir / The Collegian

Brandin Hamilton began acting in elementary school plays and continued through college. Hamilton auditioned for the lead role of Hal Carter, in which he landed.

Hamilton’s character, Carter, attended college with close friend and fraternity brother, Alan Seymour.

After college, Carter pursued his acting career in Hollywood but was unsuccessful.

Carter then returns home hoping for his friends support only to discover that Alan now has a girlfriend. The two end up battling for the girl.

Hamilton said Ellis’s direction gave him a lot of freedom with playing his character.

“[Ellis] didn’t just tell us what to do. He let us feel the character.”

The 1950s setting led the director to take a chance. Ellis made the lead role African-American as a way of depicting the difference in times.

“Hal doesn’t fit in and I relate to that,” Hamilton said. “Not being new, but being discriminated against.”

Hamilton also said he felt a strong connection to his character and encourages students to attend a nice romantic viewing of the comedy.

“It’s good to escape sometimes,” he said. “It’s good to see a story not in the movie theater but on stage.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

John OsborneSep 28, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Ummm…. Fact Check?

John OsborneSep 29, 2009 at 1:05 am

Ummm…. Fact Check?