‘Explosive on offense’

Matt Weir / The Collegian

After a defeat at the hands of Western Athletic Conference (WAC) rival Boise State, the Bulldogs look to rebound as they travel back to the Midwest this week to take on the No. 14 Cincinnati Bearcats.

The ‘Dogs’ defense will be challenged in the game, according to coach Pat Hill.

The Bearcats boast the No. 3 offense in the nation in total yards and third in almost every offensive category, including passing and receiving yards.

“This is going to be a real challenge,” Hill said. “They are a very good offensive football team, I can’t stress that enough.”

The Bearcats are averaging 48.3 points per game and defensively are only giving up 12 points per game.

“[The Bearcats] are very explosive on offense,” Hill said. “They have a senior quarterback, who I think manages the game great, and they have a wide receiver who is one of the best we’ve played against.”

Hill is referring to senior quarterback Tony Pike and senior wide receiver Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati’s best offensive duo.

Tailback Ryan Mathews carried the ’Dogs against Boise State, amassing 234 yards. His production will once again be key against Cincinnati.
Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

Pike has thrown for close to 1,000 yards, completing 75 percent of his throws, and has eight touchdowns – four of which were thrown to Gilyard.

Gilyard has caught 23 balls for 265 yards and four touchdowns. Hill said he is one of the most explosive players Fresno State will play.

“He has speed, toughness catching the ball, he runs good routes he’s a big time receiver he has all the tools,” Hill said.

Another part of the game that the ’Dogs will have to improve on is their kick return coverage, which gave up more than 200 yards in returns last week against Boise State – 154 to Titus Young and 102 yards to Doug Martin.

“On one of the returns we just had two players get juked out,” said Hill.

If the game ends up a shootout, the Bulldogs will have to rely on Ryan Mathews, who had 19 carries for 234 yards and three touchdowns on his way to being named WAC offensive player of the week.

Protection of quarterback Ryan Colburn will be key, as the Cincinnati 3-4 defensive line has combined to sack the quarterback 11 times over there first three games.

“We are going to have to play at peak performance for the third straight week and our kids are really going to have to strap it up and get ready to play.” Hill said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

AnthonySep 24, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Plain and simple: Our Dogs need to CALM DOWN at the beginning of the game. Why do I say this? Well, we make more mistakes than I’d like to count within the first 5 mintues than the whole game! Or so it seems. Throw an INT to Boise during one of our first possessions….COME ON!! Relax, focus, and then we will have a chance. I think our Bulldogs let their nervousness get the best them against top 25 teams, which is understandable, but you CANNOT let that get to you come kickoff time.
    Or maybe the Curse of the Trojans thing is true =\

AnthonySep 24, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Or maybe the Curse of the Trojans thing is true =

• F

fresnodudeSep 24, 2009 at 9:29 am

We have a godd offense to. Our defense needs to stop them though. we put up lots of points, but so do our opponents.

• F

fresnodudeSep 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm