‘Dogs face new opponent, team gets flu shots

Whether you̢۪re a player or a student, everyone needs to take precautions when dealing with the H1N1 virus, a Fresno State athletics official told The Collegian on Thursday.

Bulldog football players and staff received flu shots Tuesday after the team̢۪s upcoming opponent, the University of Wisconsin, reported that the majority of 200 students seeking medical attention on its campus had the H1N1 virus, according to media reports.

That same day, 10 Wisconsin players missed practice for flu-like symptoms. However, Wisconsin officials did not say whether the players had the H1N1 virus.

Steve Weakland, the football team̢۪s sports information director, told The Collegian in a phone interview that Fresno State players receive flu shots before they travel every year, but that there was added concern this year.

“There’s a heightened awareness because this epidemic is happening,â€Â he said.

Shots were not reserved for the athletes only; coaches and staff were also given doses.

“[Anybody] that wanted it got it,â€Â Weakland said.

Meanwhile, in the Badger State, Wisconsin players of all sizes could be seen carrying hand sanitizer in an effort to squash the outbreak. The team reported fewer players out of practice on Wednesday and doesn̢۪t expect to be missing any key players for Saturday̢۪s game, according to media reports.

“Guys may still have symptoms at the end of the week, but they’re going to persevere through it. We’re not going to let each other down … We’re going to play through anything,â€Â J.J. Watt, Wisconsin’s sophomore defensive end, told McClatchy Tribune.

Fresno State̢۪s team has been healthy and wants to stay that way.

Coach Pat Hill told The Fresno Bee, “We’ve never had a problem with the flu here. I guess we’re really fortunate.â€Â

The Bulldogs̢۪ first road game of the year will be at 9 a.m. in Camp Randall Stadium.

McClatchy Tribune contributed to this report.