‘All About Steve’ fails to deliver the funny

Suzanne Tenner / Fox

The film “All About Steveâ€Â is really all about ridiculous plot lines, tired jokes and an ugly pair of red boots.

Sandra Bullock stars as Mary Magdalene Horowitz a nerdy, middle-aged, crossword puzzle writer, who loves her job and “temporarilyâ€Â lives with her parents.

It̢۪s clear from the start of the movie that Mary̢۪s life is a lonely one. Most of her time is spent thinking up new crossword clues and carrying on conversations with her pet hamster.

Mary is set up on a blind date with TV cameraman Steve, played by Bradley Cooper in his follow-up to this summer’s surprise hit “The Hangover.â€Â When a breaking story cuts the date short, Steve politely tells Mary he wishes she could be there. This is when she kicks into full-on stalker mode.

In previous films Bullock brought originality to her roles, refreshingly portraying women who are clumsy, smart and beautiful. Unfortunately this film does not follow suit.

The biggest disappointment of “All About Steveâ€Â is the incomplete representation of Bullock’s character. Mary is more of a caricature than a depiction of a believable person that exists outside of this storyline.

Other than the numerous unfunny jokes at her expense, Mary has no purpose and lacks any real depth.

The laughs, which are few and far between, are delivered by Thomas Haden Church, who plays Hartman, a TV reporter sent to cover freak stories, which include a three-legged baby and a class of deaf children that fall into a mine.

It is Hartman who encourages Mary to continually pursue Steve, convincing her that when Steve declines her advances, it is simply his “fear talking.â€Â Tornadoes and catastrophic storms do not dissuade Mary from idiotically trailing Steve across America, in hopes of winning his heart.

Sadly, the facts of the film do not add up. Mary is annoyingly knowledgeable, but is dumb enough to be tricked by the elementary logic that when Steve says no he really means yes. Everything from her wacky wardrobe to the red boots she always wears is a joke and makes the character even more unbelievable.

In the end, Mary realizes she is chasing the wrong things, but it is too little too late to save the movie.

“All About Steveâ€Â is only worth an add to the Netflix list for die-hard Bullock fans. Either way, don’t waste $10 to see it in a theatre.