Why I started watching “Mad Men”

Whenever I am flipping through channels, I always see advertisements or references to the AMC hit show “Mad Men.” It always intrigued me, but it seemed like I never had the time to tune in. So I resolved to watch season three of “Mad Men.” And I am impressed.

For those who aren’t familiar with the show, it stars Jon Hamm as Don Draper, the advertising company Sterling Cooper’s creative director, and takes place during the 1960s. If you like smooth, that’s what Draper is. Suave, sophisticated, he’s a perfect prototype of the late-‘50s-early-‘60s big shot male. Between all the womanizing, alcohol, and cigarettes one could ever want, he gets his job done.

Aside from Draper, the main reason to watch the show is the sets, which are a feat in and of themselves. They accurately portray 1960s America in a way that almost makes you long for the simpler times when baseball was king, technology was primitive, and television sets shut off at 11 (I said almost). I can̢۪t get enough of the show. Now, I have a new television watching routine.

Mad Men airs every Sunday at 10 pm on AMC.

On to some links I found interesting:

Purple Judas: I know many find this subject tiring, and myself being a Packers fan, me more than most, but apparently Brett Favre has not gotten off to the start he would have hoped for in a Minnesota uniform. My take: please, please, please just retire!

Win one for Teddy: With health care reform not getting quite the support Democrats want, the donkeys are going to have to try something different. Their new plan is to “win one for Teddy.â€Â We’ll see how politicizing the death of Ted Kennedy works out for them.

Bring our boys home: Just over halfway through 2009 and it is already the deadliest year for NATO in Afghanistan. Not good for Obama, who campaigned on Afghanistan being the good war. Even guys like Tony Blankley have advised leaving the country. Prediction: this war will sink the Democrats, if not in 2010, then 2012.

Audit the Fed: We will finish with an update on my favorite living politician’s bill—Ron Paul’s HR 1207. This bill proposed auditing the Federal Reserve. I never thought I would agree with Barney Frank on anything, but it just goes to show that a broken clock is still right twice a day!