Freshmen move into dorms

Kevin Blair / The Collegian

Freshmen students made their way onto the west side of campus Friday morning by the hundreds to move into the dorms.

University Courtyard was packed with new students ready to begin their first experience living on their own, for many of them in an entirely new city.

“So far, it’s been a really great experience checking everyone in,â€Â said second-year Residence Assistant, Aziza Shaama. “I’ve talked to some people and I’m really excited to get to know all of my new residents. I’m glad to see a lot of returning residents from last year.â€Â

Both new and returning residents alike were enthusiastic about starting a new school year. Most new students were excited to start classes, participate in activities, and attend sporting events.

Freshman resident Vicky Menera said, “I’ve heard the athletics scene over here is really big, so I’m really looking forward to the football games. I’m excited to follow them through the season and catch up on college football.â€Â

Kevin Blair / The Collegian

As far as classes and friends go, Menera said she wants to meet new people. “I want to make sure I make some new friends, and just keep up with classes. I don’t want to fall behind.â€Â

Torri Alo, a freshman Animal Science major, is excited about living on her own. “I’m really excited to start college, and live away from home for the first time. I’m looking forward to meeting new people. But I’m also nervous about it, too,â€Â Alo said. “It’ll just be nice to have some new experiences.â€Â

Freshman Nathan Chang echoed that sentiment. “I’m pumped just to be out here on my own. Having the freedom to try some new things and meet new people will be a great change.â€Â

University Courtyard residence assistants planned an action-packed, fun-filled weekend for the dorm residents with different social events, such as the Color Games, where each hall competes against one another in games such as the Watermelon Toss and Tug-of-War.

Several Greek organizations on campus visited the dorms to help new residents move in, as well as generate interest in the Greek Week events.

The opening barbeque dinner on last Thursday night was another opportunity for residents, both returning and new, to mingle among each other and their RAs. The Marching Band made an appearance, drawing a large crowd of interested students.

Kevin Blair / The Collegian

The Residence Hall Association also sponsored two of parent workshops, one on Aug. 20 and the second on Aug. 21. The workshops were designed questions from parents about the dorm living experience.

Many freshmen residents turned out for Sunday̢۪s events, which included water games and Singled Out/Ice Cream.

When asked what he wanted his daughter to take away from the dorm experience, one father, John Alo, said, “I want her to have a good time, and to meet new people and make some new friends. I’d say I just really want her to have fun in college.â€Â

For further coverage, view Welcome Week videos Freshmen take up residence and Info fair gets freshmen into the Fresno State mix by Sergio Cortes.