Bulldogs begin season scoreless, winless

The defending Western Athletic Conference (WAC) champion women̢۪s soccer team ended its season in the NCAA Tournament̢۪s first round in 2008 and started it all over again this weekend in Southern California.

However, the champs aren̢۪t off to the most auspicious start as Fresno State dropped a late afternoon contest to Long Beach State on Sunday, 2-0, and has lost its first two games to open its season.

The Bulldogs lost their opener on Friday as well at San Diego State by a score of 1-0.

Preseason WAC Defensive Player of the Year, Fresno State goalie Kaitlyn Revel, had 11 saves in the two games combined, but didn̢۪t get much support offensively.

Revel notched six saves against the 49ers on Sunday, but allowed a goal in the 12th minute of the first half on a header from Long Beach̢۪s Lindsey Bullock.

Shawna Gordon has the assist on the corner kick and added a goal of her own in the second half to extend the lead to 2-0.

In their first two games, the Bulldogs have been outshot 32-10, including only four shots on goal against the San Diego State Aztecs.

Hayley Marsh knocked in a goal from 25 yards out to give the Aztecs their only goal of the match.

Fresno State looks to bounce back and give first-year coach Brian Zwaschka his first victory with the Bulldogs next Sunday.

The team is off all this week and will return to the pitch on Aug. 30 to face off against the Oregon Ducks at Bulldog Stadium.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Sucks for themAug 27, 2009 at 6:44 pm

sad start to the season—those aren’t really gifted teams—–hope we fare much better at home against Oregon—–SHOW UP STUDENTS! FREE ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Sucks for themAug 28, 2009 at 1:44 am