A studio of their own

Photo courtesy of Dori Atlantis

Many people think of feminists as being anti-male, whiny or hateful but Fresno State art and design professor Dr. Laura Meyer̢۪s disagrees.

“What I think feminism is about is an assertion of women’s humanity, equal rights and a responsibility to express yourself while having full citizenship in the world.â€Â

Three black and white photos of wholesome cheerleaders hang horizontally in the entryway of the Conley Art Gallery. However, the letters placed on the chest of each uniform contrast their sweet faces and make a bold statement.

“They are using terms that were used in a derogatory fashion and taking it back,â€Â Conley Art Gallery Director Edward Lund said.

The idea was to take a vulgar word with negative associations and make it cheerful and happy.

“At the time radical stuff was happening, it made perfect sense,â€Â art professor Nancy Youdelman said. “It was meant in a very positive way, it was the intention and I think the intention is what’s important.â€Â

The artwork was created by a group of 15 Fresno State students who established and created the nation̢۪s first feminist art education program in 1970 with the instruction of Judy Chicago.

“Chicago, now an internationally known artist, organized and taught­an art class for women only here at Fresno State,â€Â Youdelman said.

“The class would meet off campus in a large studio that they rented and renovated, hence the title ‘A Studio of Their Own’,â€Â Youdelman said of the yearlong course.

Meyer said the program created artwork that dealt with female sexuality, sexual violence, ambition and power based on images of women portrayed in the mass media, television and advertising.

“Some of it is historical,â€Â Lund said. “In that time the rising of social consciousness was being brought to the floor; race, gender, male, female, and the early days of homosexuality.â€Â

Lund said that these works of art convey something about the female̢۪s body, especially the female genitalia. Instead of seeing how a man would display women, you see women displaying women.

Lund described the exhibited artwork as a revolution and celebration of womanhood.

Along the left wall a display case that contained old magazine advertisements that demonstrated how women could make their bust size larger.

Above the case, 14 photographs of Youdelman testing the products and techniques the advertisements offer.

Placed under the photos are recordings of Youdelman̢۪s progress throughout her two-week trial, which increased her bust size by one inch.

“We wanted to do a group project and relate it to the body,â€Â Youdelman said. “So we decided there would be a test subject who would send away for all the stuff and try it out.â€Â

Meyer explained that the students turned what they considered beautiful, frustrating and important subjects into art.

Students used sewing tools, make-up and performance art, in addition to media that had never been considered appropriate to create expressive and powerful artworks.

The exhibition, open through Oct. 9, also showcases looped Super-8 films that focus on topics such as female desire and the struggle with self-identity.

One in particular, “The Rivalryâ€Â by Youdelman takes a deeper look at the conflict and jealousy woman had against each other.

From an off-campus studio to an on-campus exhibit the Conley Art Gallery will become “A Studio of Their Own” once again on Sept. 17 and 18.

The artists will reunite for a reception and symposium, present their work and recreate the performances that made them the renowned artists they are today.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• E

EWWSep 1, 2009 at 11:25 am

when i think of a feminist i think of the hypocrisy surrounding feminism. Feminists often argue for full equality of all women but their radical left ideology inhibits them from seeing some of the true issues facing women of the world. They are slow to critique the Muslim faith because they see members of that population as somehow targeted by the white male establishment and justified in their anger towards the ‘system.’ They are quick to divert the focus onto the oppressive European male—who in actuality is generally liberal in his ideal of gender equity.

• E

EWWSep 1, 2009 at 6:25 pm