Women̢۪s tennis heads east for NCAAs

Juan Villa / Collegian File Photo

After capturing their eighth-straight Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Championship against Boise State, the Fresno State women’s tennis team expected to be hosting the first round of the NCAA Division I Tennis Championships this Saturday — not traveling.

The news was delivered last Tuesday on ESPN that No. 16 ranked Fresno State will be the only team of the Top 16 seeds required to travel in the NCAA Tennis Championships this year.

The announcement was met with shock from the bulldogs.

Junior Renata Kucerkova, half of the nation̢۪s No.1 doubles team, said she was shocked after receiving the news.

“It’s kind of surprising because historically No. 16 teams have always hosted the regionals,â€Â Kucerkova said, “so, I’m sad were not hosting.â€Â

The Bulldogs may have earned the right to host the first and second rounds of the NCAA regional tournament, but a poor economy forced the NCAA to adjust the sites of hosting schools to accommodate traveling for schools with financial trepidation. Which means the Bulldogs will head to Urbana, Ill., on the campus of the University of Illinois to play their first and second round matches.

However, there are four Top 16 teams in California hosting — No. 7 USC, No. 8 Cal, No. 11 UCLA and No. 13 Stanford.

“Unfortunately we are the team who has to travel,â€Â said coach Simon Thibodeau. “But, we’re used to adversity.â€Â

Last weekend, in Honolulu, the Bulldogs (22-5) narrowly escaped defeat, at the hand of the Broncos, to claim the WAC Championship.

“We traveled a lot, picked up some really bad habits and we were tested in the finals,â€Â Thibodeau said. “They brought their ‘A’ game and we survived by the skin of our teeth.â€Â

But for the Bulldogs travel hasn’t been much of an obstacle, having won eight of their last nine away games. “We’ve been on the road for so long, this isn’t going to stop us from beating teams,â€Â Thibodeau said.

The 2,127 mile trek to Urbana will not only be exhausting for the players, who have just completed a long road trip that included stops in Las Cruces, Reno and Honolulu, but also for the financial reserves of Fresno States athletic department. Expenses for the tournament will include airline tickets, lodging and food.

“We will be helping out the economy for sure, because we’ll be spending a lot of money to go over there,â€Â Thibodeau said.

Fresno State will take on the 2009 Ohio Valley Conference Champions, unranked Eastern Kentucky (22-5). Fresno State has never faced Eastern Kentucky, but the team boast an identical win-lose record to the Bulldogs.

“We won’t take them lightly,â€Â Thibodeau said. “They’re tough, well coached and they will definitely give all they have.â€Â

Fresno State is in a four-team regional that includes E. Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Illinois. The winner of the first-round match between Fresno State and Eastern Kentucky will face the winner of No. 19 ranked Vanderbilt or No. 34 ranked Illinois.

Thibodeau says he feels confident about his team̢۪s chances, despite not having the home-court advantage, against E. Kentucky and Vanderbilt or Illinois afterwards.

“In the tournament, we just have to take it one match at a time, but I feel good about our chance,â€Â Thibodeau said. “We have worked really hard during the off-season to get to this point where we can be in the round of Top 16.â€Â

Last year, Fresno State defeated Lamar, 4-0, and Arizona State, 4-1, before losing to Northwestern 4-1. This year, Kucerkova feels the team will make it into the final round of 16.

“We basically have the same team, so we know each other really well,â€Â Kucerkova said. “Our wins have been well deserved and I have an amazing feeling.â€Â

The first and second rounds of the 2009 Division I NCAA Tennis Championship are slated to begin May 8-9 at 16 universities across the country. The championship finals will be held May 14-25 at Texas A&M. While the team finals take place between May 14-19 and the individual singles and doubles are scheduled for May 20-25.

The automatic bid marked the 14th consecutive appearance in the tournament for Fresno State. But for the team̢۪s five seniors, including No.16 Melanie Gloria, last weekend̢۪s game signified the last home match they would play at Fresno State.

“It’s disappointing for our seniors who could have had their last home match in front of their family and fans,â€Â said Thibodeau. “They really deserved to host.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

R. GarkSep 6, 2011 at 6:13 am

Thank You, this is exactly what the sport needs.

A separate gallery for women’s photos, as well as

Most gallery’s are dominated by mens photos, when they do show women photos, the Popular ones dominate.