The price of a spot

Bryan Cole / The Collegian
Across California State University schools

Recent proposals to raise the semester permit costs from $68 to $136 would be to build a parking structure for students on the west end of campus.

In comparison to other CSU campuses of similar size, Fresno State has a low permit cost. The cost of a semester permit at CSU Northridge is $162, CSU Fullerton $162 and CSU Sacramento $153. Although these three campuses also have existing parking structures.

Students often complain about the lack of parking at Fresno State, but university officials have a different perspective. “It is important to note that the only revenue source for parking facilities on a CSU campus is the parking fee,â€Â said Thomas Gaffery, an administrative project coordinator at Fresno State.

“Semester fees do not fund parking in anyway.â€Â

Gaffery is convinced that students will see a benefit in campus parking if the fee was raised.

“Students would have access to structured parking on the west end of campus,â€Â he said. The fee would not be implemented until the structure opened, so that only students receiving this benefit would have to pay for it.

The main parking structure, to be built in 2012, would be located on Barstow Ave. and Campus Drive. The structure would increase student parking spaces by 970 to contain approximately 1,300 stalls.

According to Gaffery, parking fees are used for the operation of the parking program, maintenance of existing parking facilities and construction of new parking facilities.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Dennis MannigMay 30, 2009 at 4:25 pm

6 engineering students did their senior project on a people mover system that could solve nearly all the campus parking problems. This isn’t exactly the system that students designed, but it’s the same idea: A very fast way to shuttle people from outlying parking directly to multiple points on campus. Like 2 minutes from SaveMart to the library. See:
    http://www.ultraprt.com/heathrow.htm Representatives of ULTra may be contacting CSUF officals in the near future.

Dennis Manning – BSME Class of 1963

Dennis MannigMay 30, 2009 at 11:25 pm

Dennis Manning – BSME Class of 1963

• F

fyiMay 7, 2009 at 10:30 am

THERE ARE ENOUGH PARKING SPOTS…PEOPLE ARE JUST LAZY TO WALK! V lot is always open if people are willing to pay more just so they can park closer something is seriously wrong with their mindset

• F

fyiMay 7, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Jasmine Marshall ArmstrongMay 7, 2009 at 9:31 am

While it is a nice idea that parking fees would go towards scholarships, that is not the reality. Your parking fees, and moreover, your parking tickets, go back to paying for the parking lots themselves, and paying the meter readers and parking enforcment. I know because I did some research into this area. Those solar panels that were put up last accademic year? Paid for in part with your parking tickets. Now, I care deeply about our environment, but let us be real: We are not helping the environment one single bit with a “looks good, feels good” project such as this. It still encourages people to drive, not carpool. It still encourages an individualistic car culture. Here’s a thought. Why dosen’t CSU Fresno put its efforts towards creating vanpools for employees, as campuses such as the University of California at Santa Barbara have? And why not do the same for students, or work with the FAX system to obtain grants for compressed natural gas express buses for students and employees? Other schools and government agencies have done this. Think outside the box, stop saying “we’ve always done it this way,” and start thinking of ways we can truly help all students, so they can at least get to class, and have a chance at sucess.

Jasmine Marshall ArmstrongMay 7, 2009 at 4:31 pm

• AnonymousMay 5, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Jr. I am not from Fresno. I assumed all students had to pay a parking fee. I got that from the other comments. If the costs of all parking are only paid by car owners then I am glad to be corrected.

• G

Gary StevensMay 5, 2009 at 8:40 am

juniorMay 5, 2009 at 7:54 am

“If someone doesn’t use a car, why should they have to pay?”

Really Gary? I didn’t realize people were paying parking fees when they weren’t parking.

juniorMay 5, 2009 at 2:54 pm

• G

Gary StevensMay 5, 2009 at 6:33 am

A student parking fee is inherently unfair to many. If someone doesn’t use a car, why should they have to pay? If students are cruising for parking now, then the rates need to be raised for the most in demand spots. The student semester fee should be eliminated and automatic parking for streets and lots should be instituted. Let each decide which parking space fits their budget and their time. Each block and lot should have its price set by the demand. The rate should be high enough so most of the time there is one or two spaces left during the times of greatest use. Parking fees should not only pay for parking, they could also be used for scholarships and for subsidizing public transit.

• AnonymousMay 5, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Jasmine Marshall ArmstrongMay 4, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Rather than building more parking, why not re-prioritize and offer more scholarships and assistance to students who are struggling? As a Teaching Associate, I have students who have no money, no cars, and sometimes no appartment. They are falling through the cracks. Many of these students could do better in school if they were provided with better support services. This university models a “bootstraps” mentality which is crushing to students and their dreams. Either you can fight and pull yourself up, or you cannot and will fall through the cracks. I am tired of seeing this institution put money towards building projects rather than building scholars. When students are told to leave because they filled out something wrong on their FAFSA, or because they cannot pay back an emergency loan, priorities are very wrong indeed!

Jasmine Marshall ArmstrongMay 4, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Mohsen KhanMay 4, 2009 at 11:35 am

We are surely in need of more parking for a long time. however the 136 price is too much. i wouldnt mind paying a hundred.

Mohsen KhanMay 4, 2009 at 6:35 pm