Summer arts special

How to take a summer course without breaking the bank

The 2009 California State University Summer Arts Program is back for its 11th year at Fresno State, with students and their money matters in mind.

“We don’t want to turn away students because they can’t afford CSU Summer Arts,â€Â Jackie Doumanian, head of community relations, said.

According to Doumanian, every year, the price to attend the Summer Arts program goes up, but students may apply for financial assistance in scholarships.

“We encourage everyone to apply for scholarships if they think they are qualified,â€Â Doumanian said. “We work very hard to raise scholarship money so that we can assist students.â€Â

Over 80 percent of students who have attended in the past have received scholarships. The scholarships could be worth $100 up to a full tuition.

“Don’t just write it off. There are always ways to find more,â€Â Doumanian said.

Students can also approach the chair of their major department.

“We are giving $250 or $150 to students based on their level of need. This amount is matched by Summer Arts, which results in a total of $300 or $500,â€Â Vida Samiian, Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, said in an e-mail.

According to Samiian, students should go to their major department and just ask. The chances of receiving a scholarship are high, with 20 to 25 scholarships available just from the College of Arts and Humanities.

CSU Summer Arts Program is trying to find different ways to help students save money.

According to Doumanian, students are able to get other family members or businesses to donate money which can become tax deductible.

“We want to make sure we do everything we can to help you be a student here,â€Â Doumanian said.

Although the tuition costs mirror Fresno State̢۪s tuition, students find themselves getting more for their money.

With prices ranging from $900 to over $1,000 respectably for in-state graduates and undergraduates, essentially students can get two classes for the price of one.

“Whatever your tuition level is for three units stays the same if you take six units,â€Â Doumanian said.

As a part of the CSU Summer Arts program, students get the opportunity to take classes geared toward visual arts, writing, dance, theatre, music or new media.

Students will work with and see performances by renowned artists as well.

According to Doumanian, to see one of these artists in a large city venue usually costs about $100.

Not only are Summer Arts students benefiting from their experiences, but the public can also enjoy the inexpensive performances.

“We want people to be able to experience this level of entertainment,â€Â Doumanian said. “These are people who are at the top of their game and it is very affordable to experience them.â€Â

By Marissa McPhail and Briana Cleary / The Collegian

$100
$500

$100
$500

Jacqueline DoumanianMay 5, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Thank you for letting the students know the CSU Summer Arts staff is here to help them in anyway we can. Financing is especially critical this year and we are all having the think “outside the box” and be inventive.

Jacqueline DoumanianMay 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm