Sukhdeep Singh named Fresno State’s 2009 President’s Medalist

Sukhdeep Singh of Fresno, who was born in India and came to the United States as a child, was chosen as the California State University, Fresno President̢۪s Medalist, the highest honor the university presents to a graduate.

Fresno State President John D. Welty presented Singh with the award during University Commencement at the Save Mart Center, which celebrated the achievements of 5,349 students who have earned their baccalaureate, master̢۪s and doctoral degrees.

Singh, who earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry with a 3.902 grade point average, is regarded as an outstanding model of research and scholarly activity.

Singh has been accepted into medical school at the University of California, Davis, where he plans to pursue his dream of becoming a pediatrician.

As an undergraduate, Singh published scholarly work at the level of an accomplished master̢۪s or Ph.D. student, according to Dr. Andrew Rogerson, dean of the College of Science and Mathematics. Singh is first author of a peer-reviewed journal article published in the International Journal of Chemical Kinetics in February 2009. He is working on a second paper to be submitted to the internationally renowned Journal of Physical Chemistry.

In addition, Singh has published five abstracts in the past year and presented his work at several conferences on the national stage. He was selected by the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration to present his research in Raleigh, N.C.

He also has been an academic research associate at Fresno State and was a formal and informal academic mentor to other students. He worked with Dr. Alam Hasson, an associate professor of chemistry, to initiate a project to investigate chemical reactions pertinent in smog formation. Singh then led a group of three undergraduate students working on the project.

The President̢۪s Medal winner is selected from among the nine undergraduate Dean̢۪s Medalists representing Fresno State̢۪s academic colleges and schools and the Division of Student Affairs.

The University Graduate Medal was awarded to Rose Le of Clovis during the Graduate Degree Hooding Ceremony for master̢۪s and doctoral degree candidates on Friday, May 22. That medal is the top honor for a graduate student, chosen from the nine Dean̢۪s Graduate Medal winners. Le represents the College of Health and Human Services.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• F

FrancoNov 15, 2009 at 10:01 pm

he got the grades—-did you?

who cares how he treated people — let him fail in his career then—

don’t try to slander him on this page.

• F

FrancoNov 16, 2009 at 6:01 am

he got the grades—-did you?

don’t try to slander him on this page.

brittanyNov 15, 2009 at 5:56 pm

He was rude to everyone!! Don’t think he deserved it…there were others who were more deserving!

brittanyNov 16, 2009 at 1:56 am

• K

KylaJun 3, 2009 at 10:52 am

hmm!

• K

KylaJun 3, 2009 at 5:52 pm

hmm!