IRA Committee: Student Profiles: Mathew Todd

Even at the age of 6, Mathew Todd understood the meaning of saving.

When Todd wanted something like a baseball bat or video games, his dad taught him the value of a dollar.

“He had the luck of being the third child, so we had practice,â€Â Todd’s father, Ed, said about teaching his children to be smart with their money and save.

Young Mathew Todd, who is now one of six IRA Advisory Board members, always did his chores around the house, his father said. But when he wanted something, he would do other things to earn money — mow the grass, wash cars and save his money even more.

Ed Todd said his son has always been very disciplined.

“He puts money away toward things that are important to him,â€Â Ed Todd said.

Mathew Todd, a junior at Fresno State majoring in construction management, recently became a part of the IRA Advisory Board about a month ago.

But he has worked with money in other capacities since becoming a member this year of the Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) Senate, a role that has helped him understand how things work with the IRA board.

He is also part of ASI’s finance committee as well, which specifically funds campus clubs. Each club on campus is allotted money each semester to put on events. Club representatives fill out an application — much like students, clubs and departments do for IRA funds as well. Being on the ASI finance committee, Todd reviews lots of funding applications.

“Club finance committee is very similar to IRA,â€Â Todd said.

“But the guidelines are more specific on what the funds can be used for.â€Â

Todd is also involved in the Lyles College of Engineering Officer Council, or LCEOC, a club within the College of Engineering. The chairs from all the clubs get together monthly and discuss issues or events in their clubs.

“My role is to be a link between the clubs and students with the ASI and other faculty outside the college,â€Â Todd said.

Drawing from these experiences, Todd better understands what it is like to deal with and save campus money. And it has been something that has been important to him for a long time.

“I have always been a saver,â€Â Todd said. “My drive is to save money. I want something, so I save.â€Â

Todd was asked to be on the IRA board by Tara Powers, the director of university affairs, and Jessica Sweeten, the current ASI Executive Vice President, because they saw good qualities in him. Sweeten has been working with Todd since September.

“He has experience in dealing with large amounts of money since he served on the planning committee for a golf course in Dinuba,â€Â Sweeten said.

“So I thought this would be a great opportunity to continue. He does have students at heart, which matters.â€Â

Todd said his strategies on what or who gets money is based on activities that will benefit the most people — hundreds of students instead of just one.

“I go toward projects that will impact the most students,â€Â Todd said.

Working with the IRA board, he said, will help him even more with understanding the importance of a dollar.

Working with the board, he also hopes to better understand the process and distribution of the funds.

“I then take that information back to my clubs within the College of Engineering to help them be as effective as possible,â€Â Todd said.