Instructionally Related Activities fee overview

Photo Illustration by Michael Uribes / The Collegian

One year ago, Fresno State students voted on a fee referendum that would significantly hike Instructionally Related Activity (IRA) fees. Students answered with 65 percent rejecting the proposal.

But their wishes were denied when the Campus Fee Advisory Committee came together and recommended an amended increase anyway. University President John D. Welty approved a $52 IRA fee increase, making the total fee $62 for 2008-09.

Welty told The Collegian in May 2008 that the increase was necessary because several programs would be in serious jeopardy if they didn̢۪t get additional revenue. He named music and theatre arts, specifically, as two of the programs in need. Also, the new women̢۪s lacrosse team and swimming and diving team needed student fee support, so the university could comply with federal gender equity rules.

Dean of Student Affairs Paul Oliaro, Ph.D. was also interviewed in the May 2008 article and said that the fee hike was necessary. “We tried to do what was in the best interest of the whole university,â€Â Oliaro said.

One year later, The Collegian has now gathered and analyzed the last three years of IRA allocations. The Collegian elected to only examine allocations on the academic and extracurricular side, which takes about half of a student̢۪s IRA fee.

In tough economic times like the present, students should know where their money is going and why. Who is handling these funds? Who is reaping the benefits and who is not?

President Welty and the sitting ASI president hand-pick the IRA Advisory Board that make the tough allocation decisions. This board is made up of three Fresno State students and three faculty/administrators.

In a special report today and Friday, The Collegian scrutinizes the last three years of IRA allocations, conducts interviews and breaks down the disbursement of $1.2 million in IRA money.

$100
$500

$100
$500

JUST MAYBEMay 8, 2009 at 9:48 am

“65 percent rejecting the proposal.”

out of what? the whole 4% that bothered to vote?

so in TOTAL 97% of students either don’t have a problem or don’t care about this and you complain about Welty and ASI?

Way to send a message there guys, student body UNITE!

JUST MAYBEMay 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm

“65 percent rejecting the proposal.”

juniorMay 7, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Then it’s a good thing I’m graduating. I gotta get out of this state . . . for many reasons.

juniorMay 7, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Jared HarperMay 7, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Junior…..you should do more research with your time. I know you will get offended by this so here goes. stop using the false notion that Fresno State is cheap by comparison. You sound like Welty who makes it sound as if he does us a favor by justifying his fee increases on students by relating it to “we are still the lowest in comparison”

Get real. why hasnt anyone like you or Welty compared the salaires we make, or the income and wages of students to those of others around the mation. Oh and also we may be the cheapest in comparison but we are also the poorest in the nation which cannot be compared.

Jared HarperMay 7, 2009 at 7:46 pm

juniorMay 7, 2009 at 8:01 am

That’s Ok confused. Thought is free.
    I was simply stating that there are those of us who can’t, or choose not to rely on our parents for loans and other such things, especially for school.
    As far as IRA goes, just because most people don’t take advantage of it, doesn’t mean it has no value. Think of it as a friendly favor to your fellow students. Besides, Fresno State is still cheap by comparison.
    By the way, I don’t think anyone will be offended if you actually use the word hell

juniorMay 7, 2009 at 3:01 pm

That’s Ok confused. Thought is free.

Constantly ConfusedMay 6, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Junior:
    Who are you and where do I get the secret book that deciphers what the h*ll you are always ranting about? What does your comment mean? Maybe you should go easy on the crazy pills….Just a thought.

Constantly ConfusedMay 7, 2009 at 6:14 am

Junior:

juniorMay 6, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Way to go Mom and Dad. Try commenting back when you have a solution for the rest of us who actually have to work our way through college.

juniorMay 6, 2009 at 11:33 pm

• N

No more increases!May 6, 2009 at 1:38 pm

sure the CSU is one of the cheapest schools in the nation however, California is also one of the most expensive places to live. I predict in 10 years, new high school grads won’t go to college because of the rising cost and maybe 20 there will be a major shift in working class and middle class.

are fees have already gone up every year since 1992
    and they will rise again next fall.

at least I know with my parents credit I can get approved for that second loan I have to take out.

• N

No more increases!May 6, 2009 at 8:38 pm

and they will rise again next fall.

Concerned StudentMay 6, 2009 at 9:21 am

Not a fan of the hike either. However It’s easy to blame ASI when those picked were approved only by a past ASI president and Welty. There’s a 50/50 split on that Board of students-fac/admin. Let’s not be too hasty to forget that this is an ADVISORY board which technically means Welty can do whatever the hell he wants.

Concerned StudentMay 6, 2009 at 4:21 pm

• N

No to student feesMay 6, 2009 at 9:10 am

Here we go again, the ASI officers and administrators begin to rape…ahem i mean reap the benefits of millions by forcing students (who have no voice at the decision making table) to pay up!

• N

No to student feesMay 6, 2009 at 4:10 pm