Failures outnumber days

During Barack Obama’s first 100 days in office, he gave the British prime minister a bunch of DVDs that don’t work in Europe, gave the queen of England an iPod, bowed to the king of Saudi Arabia, shook hands with Hugo Chavez, informed the world of our torture methods, visited with Jay Leno, appeared on “60 Minutes,â€Â gave more speeches than we can count and got a dog. But, more importantly, he shifted his policies and broke his campaign promises.

Obama assured us that earmarked spending would stop. Yet, he openly signed the $410 billion omnibus spending bill, even though it contained 8,570 earmarks totaling $7.7 billion.

Obama promised he would not hire lobbyists, but even before taking office, he appointed William Lynn to be his deputy secretary of defense. Lynn is a senior vice president and a lobbyist for Raytheon, a company with billions of dollars in Defense Department contracts.

Obama guaranteed that his administration would be transparent and would bring ethics back into the White House. While on the campaign trail, Obama said, “The public will have five days to look online and find out what’s in [a bill] before I sign it, so that you know what your government is doing.â€Â Thus far, Obama has signed 11 bills into law. Only one of them was posted online for the public’s review and comments.

As far as ethics in the White House, when you or I evade paying our taxes, we go to jail. When Obama̢۪s buddies do the same, they receive top cabinet appointments. Such is the case of Timothy Geithner, Obama̢۪s appointment for secretary of the treasury, who failed to pay tens of thousands of tax dollars when he was a senior official at the International Monetary Fund. Is having someone who evaded taxes really the most ethical choice to oversee the IRS at this terrifying financial time?

While campaigning, Obama said, “There is no doubt that we’ve been living beyond our means and we’re going to have to make some adjustments. Now, what I’ve done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut.â€Â

He did recently order his cabinet to cut $100 billion from the budget. This shows he obviously heard the “TEA partyâ€Â protests against government spending and is at least doing something, but it is not enough.

In stark contrast with his $787 billion stimulus bill, a “net spending cutâ€Â isn’t looking likely. America’s budget deficit is $2 trillion. So, while $100 billion may sound like a good chunk of change, in the large spectrum, it’s not making a dent.

When campaigning, Obama said he would not support any more bailouts. But from banks to automobile corporations, taxpayers have seen their hard-earned dollars go toward yet another broken campaign promise.

During his primetime speech Wednesday, Obama said he has been most surprised by “the number of critical issues that appear to be coming to a head-all at the same time.â€Â These issues aren’t new. It seems he was so eager to get elected; he became overzealous in his promises and is now having a difficult time following through.

Obama̢۪s administration is littered with lobbyists and tax-evaders, the earmark spending continues, transparency translates to murky, at best.

One hundred days is certainly not enough time to fix all of our nation̢۪s problems, but it is enough time to get going on the right track and instill confidence in the American people.

When the promises Obama made to get into office became an inconvenience, he threw them out the window. We don̢۪t see change. What we see is a president and an administration spending money like we have never seen before and an unprecedented amount of debt.

Obama has constantly surrendered his campaign promises on the central issues that got him into office. After only one hundred days, he has ruined his credibility with many and proven he is no different than any other politician

$100
$500

$100
$500

Shaggy DogMay 2, 2009 at 11:58 am

I’m glad this Obamania has died down. We still must contend with this Obamunism, but people will soon see this man for his lack of content rather than his flashy speeches and decent personality. The man’s ideal vision of America seems to that which is in the image of Sweden or Norway. The cult of personality that got this fool into office will forever be one of America’s biggest blunders.

Shaggy DogMay 2, 2009 at 6:58 pm

juniorMay 2, 2009 at 11:49 am

I think it’s great that he gave the queen an iPod. What, the queen can’t bump some beats at tea time? What do you want him to give her? A new pair of white gloves? Ugh.

juniorMay 2, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Michael Dogluas, MIT drop out. NOTMay 2, 2009 at 4:16 am

Wow, you have amazing critical thinking skills…LOL. Your brain was injected with miracle grow.

“Obama promised he would not hire lobbyists, but even before taking office, he appointed William Lynn to be his deputy secretary of defense. Lynn is a senior vice president and a lobbyist for Raytheon, a company with billions of dollars in Defense Department contracts. ”

In regards to this statements, strategically, the best is always wanted. Therefore lobbyist may be redifined. Look for that.

Think about an artist, one day lobbyist at 30, the next philanthropist at 40, but at 20 truth and nothing less. Later comes strategy.

You’re good looking, maybe I’ll see you reporting on the news sometime.

Michael Dogluas, MIT drop out.May 2, 2009 at 11:16 am

juniorMay 2, 2009 at 12:58 am

I really doubt the tea parties did anything at all, actually

juniorMay 2, 2009 at 7:58 am

mgMay 1, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Great job WEE straightening this out. It is wonderful when a deep thinker like yourself addresses these serious issues. You really took this article to task with your litany of excuses, I mean reasons, behind each concern raised. A particularly strong counter-argument was your “everybody cheats on their takes or doesn’t fill them out right anyway so it’s alright” thesis. I hope you can bring that type of clear thinking to our policy makers. Society would run so much smoother that way. And I feel much better now about Tim Geithner running our economy. Knowing that he is simply a tax cheat follower or too stupid to fill out his returns properly, really eases my mind.

Hey, and how about your “the government positions have been left open because they are trying to keep out lobbyists’ clarification? Man, and I thought it was because all of the people who had skeletons coming out of their closet like anti-Israel rants, tax cheats, conflicts of interest. The best part of your point is that the numerous exceptions made by the administration are not really evidence of a broken promise, but a virtue since lobbyists really are wonderful! All those wall street, Fannie and Freddie Mac etc…, lobbyists who have been wining and dining the past few administrations and members of congress from both parties, did great work. Hey, why don’t we give them a bailout and bonuses for their hard work?

Thank God somebody has the answer to our financial calamity. Tell the president and his team they just need to take ECON 50 at Fresno State! Apparently in that class one learns the secret to having the annual deficit reach 9% of GDP this year and the total dept burden reach nearly 80% in just 2 years, and have it not severely hamper the economy for a generation. We can even drive these numbers higher by adding health care reform, and dealing with social security and medicare deficits. Man that must be some class. Oh, and those crazies protesting all these brilliant ideas. Just because we could tax everyone making over $250,000 at 100%, taking every dime they make, and it wouldn’t begin to be enough money, don’t they realize that there is no chance taxes will go up on anyone else? (hikes in California and on things like student fees don’t really count) Hey, and even if taxes did go up, everyone cheats on their taxes anyway, right?

Thanks WEE! I feel so much better knowing that there is someone out there making powerful arguments on important issues.

mgMay 1, 2009 at 9:14 pm

WEEMay 1, 2009 at 9:28 am

as expected, the oposition denies the evident. Most of this contry either flat out CHEATS on their taxes or fills them out WRONG. You know why? Because LESS THAN 1% OF THE POPULATION GETS AUDITED.

Most of the Gov. positions have been left EMPTY because of the administrations desire to keep lobyists out, BUT IT CANT BE DONE. The sad truth is that lobbyists are so well connected and frankly so experienced that you can’t afford NOT to have them in government.

And stop using LOBBYIST as a bad word. You owe them more than you know.

Also, before you keep ranting about deficit spending, why don’t you go take an ECON50 class and then rethink what you’re talking about.

“He did recently order his cabinet to cut $100 billion from the budget. This shows he obviously heard the “TEA partyâ€Â protests against government spending and is at least doing something, but it is not enough. ”

You mean the protests about higher taxes and spending.. when the majority of taxes are staying the same? Or was it the whole 250,000+ salary croud out there up in arms?

I guess government spending is a problem when the money goes to projects you don’t approve of. Seriously.

I think this adminstration has made A LOT of mistakes, but you focus only on the ones that go against your ideology, and you attack them with weak arguments.

WEEMay 1, 2009 at 4:28 pm

“He did recently order his cabinet to cut $100 billion from the budget. This shows he obviously heard the “TEA party” protests against government spending and is at least doing something, but it is not enough. ”