ABC Anchor speaks at Latino Commencement

Tom Uribes / The Collegian

Graduates and family members packed the Save Mart Center Saturday night for the 33 annual Latino Commencement Celebration where John Quinones, the co-anchor of ABC’s “Primetime,â€Â was honored and gave the night’s commencement address.

The celebration concluded the week-long activities for the more than 5,349 students who earned baccalaureate and advanced degrees. It was also the culmination of the weekend’s 27 individual events.

The Latino Commencement Celebration Committee decided to recognize Quinones this year because of his dedication and commitment to Latino communities, said Dr. Luz Gonzalez, dean of the College of Social Sciences.

“He was selected as this year’s honoree because of his strong faith in humanity, his commitment to exposing injustice and his belief that education is the best way to achieve political, social and economic equality for Latinos,â€Â Gonzalez said.

Past recipients of the award include Maria Elena Salinas, of the Spanish-language network Univision, and former Lt. Gov. of California Cruz M. Bustamante.

Quinones, a seven-time Emmy Award winning journalist who anchors the ABC Primetime newsmagazine series “What Would You Do?â€Â said he was very thankful to be the 2009 recipient.

“I am over the moon and humbled to receive the honor,â€Â Quinones said. “I’m just a reporter, not a celebrity.â€Â

Gonzalez stated that it is Quinones’ home grown identity that makes him a role model. “He is a man who carries his heart in his hand,â€Â Gonzalez said. “He reminded me of the sweet Latino husband, father, brother, uncle, best friend, that so many of us can identify with.â€Â

In his commencement address Quinones emphasized hard work and persistence. The San Antonio, Texas native who worked as a migrant farmworker as a child, stressed that he wouldn̢۪t be where he is today had it not been for determination and the Upward Bound program.

“The way out of poverty is through education,â€Â Quinones said. “I was there were you are, it took a lot for me and I have been very fortunate.â€Â

Quinones̢۪ speech resonated with many in attendance, even bringing some students to tears, said Gonzalez.

“By sharing his life story, with all the hurdles and barriers he had to overcome, he sent a message to our students that nothing is impossible,â€Â Gonzalez said. “Most important, he let them know that they were important to him and that is why he accepted the invitation to join them this year as they celebrated their graduation from our university.â€Â

During his time on campus, Quinones met with faculty and students. He also made it a priority to speak with members of Fresno State’s Upward Bound program — a program which afforded Quinones the opportunity to attend college.

Quinones, who received his bachelor’s degree from St. Mary’s University and eventually received a master’s degree from the Columbia School of Journalism, told the Staff and members of Fresno State’s Upward Bound program that he would not be where he is today had it not been for the program.
“The program made my dreams more attainable,â€Â Quinones said. “In the summer I would take what were essentially remedial classes and they prepared me for college.â€Â

Before Quinones found the Upward Bound program, teachers and counselors told him that he would never make it to college and that he should learn a trade. But Quinones said it was the positive reinforcement from a special teacher that inspired him to keep reaching for his dream.

“I had a teacher when I was 16 named Teresa Gutierrez who told me I should pursue writing, and I have been a journalist since.â€Â

Recently, Quinines had his book “Heroes Among Us: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Choices,â€Â published. In it he stresses that everyday people, like parents and teachers, can be heroes just by taking action.

“The book is a remainder for people to take heroic action,â€Â said Quinones. “Even the smallest actions like helping out your fellow man, helping children, or even just giving back can be the most heroic thing you do.â€Â