Students recognized for community service

Several Fresno State students received recognition for their service to the community Tuesday at the annual Hands Across the Valley Awards Luncheon, hosted by Hands On Central California.

Most notably, Jocelyn Goldring, a senior liberal studies major, was named the University Student Volunteer of the Year. Goldring was selected for the top student award for her outstanding community service to Camp Taylor, a free summer camp for children born with congenital heart disease and their families.

In the past year, Goldring volunteered 1,200 hours with the organization. She has volunteered at the camp every summer since 2003, and serves as activities director and counselor. In addition to her time volunteering at the camp, Goldring started an annual fundraiser for the camp three years ago. She has helped raise more than $180,000.

In addition to the recognition and award. Goldring received a $1,500 scholarship from the Marc and Marjorie Radin Community Service Scholarship fund.

Aundree Rodriguez, a music major, was a finalist for the Adult Volunteer of the Year award. She was recognized for her work as an AmeriCorps volunteer with the Safe and Proud Neighborhoods program.

Daniel Griffin of Fresno State’s Research and Sponsored Programs office was presented the “Humanitarian Awardâ€Â for his years of service to many local nonprofits, including University HOPE, Stone Soup of Fresno and CASA.

Other finalists for the student volunteer award were Arica Washington, for her service with the West Fresno Boys and Girls Club and Laura Rodriguez for her contributions to a number of agencies including Bulldog Pantry and Big Brothers and Big Sisters.