Presidential candidates address their top issues

While students may have been out exploring Vintage Days or just enjoying the warm Valley weather, The Collegian and the candidates for ASI president met on Saturday evening to talk business.

The three candidates for ASI president include current Executive Vice President (EVP) Jessica Sweeten, an agricultural communications major, Tom Boroujeni, a music composition major, and Jasjit Kamboj, a senior getting majors in economics and political science.

The Collegian asked the candidates about a number of topics, one of which included what these candidates believe are the three most important issues facing the Fresno State community, and how they would address those issues as ASI president.

All three candidates believe parking — in particular, the proposed parking in the northwest end of campus — is one of the biggest problems on and around campus.

Kamboj, who supports building the structure, believes the increase in parking fees is an important issue to consider.

“The parking structure that is going to be built is going to increase our parking fees by $136, which is a substantial amount — basically doubling our current fees,â€Â Kamboj said.

Sweeten, who is part of the three-member group “For Students Who Deserve More,â€Â also agrees with building the structure.

“I would continue to inform students on the issues that are facing the parking structure and keep them informed,â€Â Sweeten said.

Boroujeni, is a member of “Party for Education, Direct Reform, and Objectivesâ€Â (P.E.D.R.O.), a 10-member campaign group. He opposes building the new parking structure.

“We have enough parking on campus — the problem is getting to that parking. We’re coming up with specific ways of how to deal with it,â€Â Boroujeni said.

One of Boroujeni̢۪s other major emphases will be on finding alternative revenue sources for ASI, an issue that is also important according to P.E.D.R.O.̢۪s 10-point plan for improving Fresno State.

“Alternative sources of revenue is our first thing. We are a nonprofit organization so we can apply for grants and we can get these grants and give them to the students,â€Â Boroujeni said.

Boroujeni̢۪s third major emphasis was on increased clarity in government and student participation in ASI.

“I think it’s very important to get students involved, and the only way to do that is to show them how we can impact them, as ASI leaders, as their government,â€Â he said.

Kamboj also cited more student participation in programs and eliminating ASI’s “misuse of fundsâ€Â as important to his campaign.

“We need to build more accountability. Accountability will come with updating the ASI Web site and making sure all of our minutes are put up there and including video of sessions as well,â€Â Kamboj said.

Kamboj̢۪s third major goal would be to give rejoining CSSA closer consideration.

“I plan to look at what it’s going to cost us per student to really get represented at the state or national level. The figures that we’ve gotten before from CSSA say it’s going to cost us 60 cents per student, which isn’t a substantial fee for looking into CSSA,â€Â Kamboj said.

“But of course we want to look at CSSA’s structure and what that structure is going to do for us.â€Â

One of Sweeten̢۪s other big issues includes the cost of higher education to Fresno State students.

“I would continue to lobby in Sacramento for higher education to decrease tuition,â€Â Sweeten said.

“I would continue to work with professors to make sure their book lists are submitted earlier, because if they’re submitted earlier to the bookstore, the cost will go down tremendously,â€Â she added.

Sweeten’s third emphasis is on breaking down the “communication barrierâ€Â between students and the administration, and said students need more representation in the decision-making processes of the university.

“Upper administration does not communicate with the students. ASI is trying to bridge that gap this year by placing students on the committees across campus,â€Â Sweeten said.

“As president, I would continue to place those students. When decisions are made, they happen at those committee levels, and we need students on those committees.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• I

InsightfulApr 22, 2009 at 8:41 am

Interesting, PEDRO JOKING. I’m going to repost this to reiterate what you just said. If that information is all true, Fresno State voters (students) deserve to know that.

ts funny how people are basing their entire campagined off of a story they only now what Tom and the media tells them: Has everybody forgotten that Tom is married to Annie, which means that all of the money and equipment that she stole from ASI, from STUDENTS is in his house too? THATS WHY SHE GOT FIRED!
    Check the facts, ask Pedro about that. She got caught, fired, and tried to call foul. Then they went through and found some errors on behalf of the execs, nothing like stealing $3,000 worth of money through carwashes, gas, shipment, etc. Even a getaway with Tom!
    Then Tom and Annie cried to the media, before state had a chance to through anonymous emails from “CSUFinvestigationâ€Â and even stalked ASI employees to try to get them to go along with their story. The only part that worked was the gullible media and it was one day worth of news for the real news. And he convinced Walter and the slow guy to start up a petition because he could not be on campus because of his stalking. Check the university police records.
    That̢۪s why the collegian did not endorse him, and that̢۪s why hes manipuated a bunch of other inexperienced students to go along with his plan.

• I

InsightfulApr 22, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Then Tom and Annie cried to the media, before state had a chance to through anonymous emails from “CSUFinvestigation” and even stalked ASI employees to try to get them to go along with their story. The only part that worked was the gullible media and it was one day worth of news for the real news. And he convinced Walter and the slow guy to start up a petition because he could not be on campus because of his stalking. Check the university police records.
    That’s why the collegian did not endorse him, and that’s why hes manipuated a bunch of other inexperienced students to go along with his plan.

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 21, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Its funny how people are basing their entire campagined off of a story they only now what Tom and the media tells them: Has everybody forgotten that Tom is married to Annie, which means that all of the money and equipment that she stole from ASI, from STUDENTS is in his house too? THATS WHY SHE GOT FIRED!

• P

PEDRO JOKEApr 22, 2009 at 4:50 am

• P

PredictionApr 21, 2009 at 11:19 am

actuallyi predict one of the two outcomes:

Pres: Tom
    VPF: Lauren

or

Pres: Jessica
    VPF: Cha

• P

PredictionApr 21, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Pres: Tom
    VPF: Lauren

or

Pres: Jessica
    VPF: Cha

SammyApr 21, 2009 at 12:55 am

Pres: Jaz
    VPF: Lauren

Same as yours!

SammyApr 21, 2009 at 7:55 am

Pres: Jaz
    VPF: Lauren

Same as yours!

• R

RickApr 20, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Lets make our predictions about the presidential and VP of Finance race.

President: Jaz Kamboj
    VPF: Lauren Johnson

What are your picks?

• R

RickApr 21, 2009 at 6:52 am

President: Jaz Kamboj
    VPF: Lauren Johnson

What are your picks?

ChataApr 20, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Everybody says they want their job back on employment lawsuits like this!

And AUXILIARIES (as in, adults professionals!) didn’t want to hire her back…NOT Mackee. Maybe there was more to it than alcohol…like, uh, maybe she actually deserved getting fired!

ChataApr 21, 2009 at 6:42 am

• R

Remember the Mackee IncidentApr 20, 2009 at 11:35 pm

The entire story is not being told…as i recall correctly Mufasa, the Fresno Bee reported that she didnt want a cash settlement, she firmly stated she wanted her job back. Do not misconstrue the truth from what you want to make it out to be. I also recall that the Auxillaries was not wanting to give it back to her and wanted to settle. that is what needs to be taken into consideration..

• R

Remember the Mackee IncidentApr 21, 2009 at 6:35 am

Amy WilsonApr 20, 2009 at 12:30 pm

OH yes IM SOOOO SORRY She sued ASI because our former president who was put out of office for drinking with OUR STUDENT MONEY, fired her because she told him he couldnt use ASI money for alcohol. If your going to tell a story dont tell half of it MUFASA…

Amy WilsonApr 20, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Josh FongApr 20, 2009 at 11:11 am

its too bad Mufasa you hide behind the same name to make posts…..grants? yeah ever heard of them whether there are hard economic times it is at least a way to try and get other revenue rather than raising fees. i never saw past ASI officers even think outside the ASI budget when talking about funding. its always about raising our fees.

Josh FongApr 20, 2009 at 6:11 pm

MufasaApr 20, 2009 at 10:28 am

Yeah, and the other issue is that ASI can solely exist based on revenues of student fees–nothing else. If he wants to increase revenues, he has to increase the ASI student fees.

And seriously, grants? Yeah, in these economic times, they’re REALLY handing those out like candy! YEAH RIGHT!

MufasaApr 20, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Concerned StudentApr 20, 2009 at 10:01 am

Is anyone else putting together the fact that Boroujeni married the student that is currently suing ASI? And He wants to be finding alternate funding for ASI? For what possible reason if he also wants to cut spending?

Concerned StudentApr 20, 2009 at 5:01 pm