Pair of Bulldogs go in the sixth round

Bryan Cole / Collegian File Photo

Two former Bulldogs will have their last name on a different kind of football uniform this coming fall.

One will take his blocking and receiving to the Bay Area. The other will join a quarterback race in the Rocky Mountains in Denver.

Tom Brandstater and Bear Pascoe are the latest Fresno State Bulldogs to join the National Football League. Both were selected in the sixth round of the NFL Draft on Sunday.

Brandstater was the 174th overall pick in the draft, while his former favorite receiver, Pascoe, was selected as the 184th overall pick.

The Turlock native will suit up for coach Josh McDaniels and the Broncos. Pascoe will go from the Valley to the Bay as he joins the San Francisco 49ers.

Brandstater started three seasons at quarterback for the ̢۪Dogs. He finished his career with 47 touchdown passes, 32 interceptions, and 6,857 passing yards.

He was able to impress the NFL scouts with his 6-foot-5 frame and his ability to scramble out of the pocket. He will now look to fill the starting quarterback position vacated by former starter and pro bowler Jay Cutler.

Pascoe was able to capture the attention of NFL scouts with his blocking ability. The massive 6-foot-5, 260-pound tight end from Porterville was a helping hand in the Bulldogs̢۪ running game throughout his Fresno State career.

Pascoe isn̢۪t looking forward to playing against anyone in particular or signing any major contract right now. He̢۪s content with where he is.

Bryan Cole / Collegian File Photo

“I think if anything it’s just being in the NFL,â€Â Pascoe said. “It’s been a dream ever since I was a little kid. Each week, I’m going to line up against some of the best players in the world. That’s just awesome right there.â€Â

Pascoe will now be coached by one of the greatest linebackers to ever play the game in Hall-of-Famer Mike Singletary.

“He’s a great guy, a great coach and I’ve always admired him,â€Â Pascoe said. “I’m looking forward to working with him and working with the other tight ends, like Vernon Davis, and just be the best I can be for that team.â€Â

Fresno State head coach Pat Hill was a former assistant on the Cleveland Browns from 1991-1994. He has learned one thing about players getting drafted over the years.

“It takes one team to really love them,â€Â Hill said. “Then you never know how that is going to turn out. Both of them are quality young men and that means a lot. I think they have good opportunities to have a chance to get to camp and chase that dream of being a professional football player.â€Â

Hill, however, felt that both men getting drafted isn̢۪t the only thing he can say he̢۪s proud of.

“The main thing that I talked to them about is making sure they get their college degrees and they did. So I’m really proud of that,â€Â Hill said. “The National Football League is not something that lasts for a long time for any player. I wish them all the best of luck and take advantage of it every day, because you never know when that career is going to end. But the great thing they’ve done already is they got their college degree.â€Â

Pascoe admits that he̢۪ll miss college, but is glad to have that college degree and will now move forward.

“I’m glad to be graduated and gone,â€Â Pascoe said with a laugh. “I made some good friends as far coaches and players. I played in some great games for that program. I got to take that next step in my life.â€Â

The 49ers newest tight end doesn̢۪t want to think about how long he̢۪ll play in the league right now, as his surname will now be stitched up on San Francisco home and away uniforms.

“I want the best NFL career I can have,â€Â Pascoe said. “I’ll play as long as I can. As long as I can play for the 49ers, they’re my team.â€Â

Drafted QBs

Fresno State has a rich history of quarterbacks selected in the NFL Draft. Here are the most recent selections to come from the Valley:

̢ۢ 2009 РTom Brandstater (Broncos)
̢ۢ 2002 РDavid Carr (Texans)
̢ۢ 1994 РTrent Dilfer (Bucs)
̢ۢ 1992 РMark Barsotti (Dolphins)
̢ۢ 1987 РKevin Sweeney (Cowboys)

$100
$500

$100
$500

Concerned StudentApr 27, 2009 at 11:51 am

Yay GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!

Concerned StudentApr 27, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Yay GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!

• T

thebulldogfanApr 27, 2009 at 10:27 am

happy for them. Represent. Hope you do well.

• T

thebulldogfanApr 27, 2009 at 5:27 pm