One-finger-salute

Culled each week from discussions in The Collegian newsroom.

Thumbs up
Number 32 hitting 44th

Kudos to Tommy Mendonca for becoming the Bulldog̢۪s all-time home run leader. The third baseman broke Fresno State̢۪s record with his 44th homer this past Saturday against Louisiana Tech. Too bad the record came along with a 17-5 loss.

Thumbs up
Food at Vintage Days

Although the event is same ol̢۪, the food this year was delish. Especially good were the Gamma Zeta Alpha̢۪s taquitos, Indian Student Club̢۪s tandoori chicken, Malaysian Student Organization̢۪s $1 spring rolls and Chi Delta Beta̢۪s chilli cheese fries. The food was so good we almost didn̢۪t make a Don Pepe̢۪s run.

Thumbs up
Women̢۪s tennis

The Bulldogs finished undefeated in WAC play after winning against Boise State this past weekend. Five of the singles players are currently undefeated as the team prepares for the conference championships.

Thumbs down
Thrashers

Happens all the time on campus, but Vintage Days made the litter much more noticeable. Folks, if you need to get rid of something, there̢۪s surely a trash can nearby. And if you don̢۪t see one right away, take a stroll and find it. Trust us, whenever you have that funnel cake or corn dog, you̢۪ll need the walk.

Thumbs down
High unemployment rate

Although not being surprised when hearing of another failed business, the unemployment rate still makes us cringe. A frightening rate of 17 percent makes anyone still employed thank their lucky stars they still haven̢۪t seen the dreaded pink.

Thumbs up
Earth Day

Stop giving the environmentalist movement the middle finger— give it a hand by reducing waste and starting to recycle. Earth Day is not just for hippies anymore, so go out there and hug a tree this Wednesday. And yes, literally hug a tree— we won’t judge.

Thumbs down
Registering for classes

Registration time comes right when students are nearly burnt out by the current semester. When stressed about upcoming deadlines, the last thing we want to do is go through the drag of arranging next semester̢۪s schedule.

Thumbs down
Lack of participation in ‘Best in Show’ contest

Even with $200 up for grabs, there has been a weak response for the video contest calling students to display their community involvement on a video 30-90 seconds long. Students are involved all over the community, so is $200 just not worth our time?

$100
$500

$100
$500

whateverApr 20, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Yeah seriously. $200 will get you a math book that you’ll be able to sell back for 3 bucks, even if it’s still in the wrapping!

whateverApr 20, 2009 at 4:22 pm