Former UHS teacher pleads not guilty

It has been nearly two months since the arrest of University High School teacher Jonathan McCoy Malcolm, who admitted to having sent inappropriate sexual text messages to students and having a sexual relationship with a former student.

Malcolm was to make a court appearance Monday, but was bailed out at $105,000.

Tatevos Manucharyan, a campus police detective, said in an affidavit that when Malcolm, 31, was arrested and interviewed on Jan. 28, he confessed to sending photographs to female students and the sexual text messages through his cell phone.

In addition, he confirmed that he had a sexual relationship with a student when she was 17 years old. She graduated from the school in 2007 and now attends college.

The affidavit states that the teenage girl talked to Malcolm for hours at a time on the phone and had frequent conversations through text message. She also admitted to having oral sex with Malcolm at least five times, but denies ever having sexual intercourse with her former orchestra teacher.

Investigation of Malcolm began at the beginning of the year after a student told campus police that she was receiving an inappropriate amount of text messages and pornographic substances sent to her e-mail.

The student said the text messaging started with around three to four texts a week, but progressed into numerous messages a day, with questions on sexually suggestive content.

When Fresno Police asked the student to call Malcolm, they recorded the call as the student asked him about photographs he had previously told her about.

A court record states that Malcolm said he would be “dead in the waterâ€Â if anyone found the photos.